BGS too sweet

wildmancurry

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian golden strong and it has reached what appears to be its FG, .015. It is in range for the style but is sweeter than I want it. What I am looking for is ideas to create a perceived drier beer. It’s okay but I am willing to toy with it since it is not what I set out to make. A thought I had was adding sour cherries (I love them in beer) and just not calling it a BGS. Brett and lacto come to mind, I’ve been on a kick latterly. Thoughts? What experiment would you like to see?

Give it time!
Beer changes with time and I've noticed Belgians becoming less sweet
Or, if you keg, increase carbonation.

Belgian beers tend to be sweet. You can get it to ferment a bit more by warming it a few degrees and waiting. Or add some different yeast that finishes drier.

Carbonation will cut the sweet a bit.

I have done several BGS before and this is sweeter than I want. Thinking it was stalled I added BE-256 without result. I have put some heat on it and see some action but it may be off-gassing. What I am actually asking is, does anybody have experience with taking this style in different directions? If it doesn’t drop in the next couple days I am going to bottle some as is and experiment with the rest.

Beer shandy? Maybe soda water instead of sprite and a dash of bitters?

Slice if lemon or lime in your glass, like corona (before it became a disease)

Dry hopping?
Would be possible since it is still in the fermenter.
Not normal for Belgian beers, but it might just work

Back