Better support for Partial Mashers

lawn chairs

Trial Member
Reaction score
Everything really is there already, but it needs a lot of dialing in.

I'd like the mash water calculator to actually understand that I'm only using a fraction of my overall water requirement at strike and sparge -- and add the rest as pre-boil later on.

I'd like the efficiency measurement to account for only the grains I'm mashing -- because DME/LME is efficient upwards of 99% and a weighted value would be kinda useless. I'd like to see an OG estimate for post-partial mash before I start adding extract, which I don't do until I've loaded the kettle up to pre-boil volume and gotten the heat going. This will help me correct for the amount of extract I might need to add.

Agreed with everything above. My other issue with the calculator for partial mashes and Extract brews is that the "top off" option in the drop down menu always assumes its preboil topoff instead of post boil topoff in the fermenter.

Agreed with everything above. My other issue with the calculator for partial mashes and Extract brews is that the "top off" option in the drop down menu always assumes its preboil topoff instead of post boil topoff in the fermenter.
I want it to have BOTH. Neither really count as "mash water" requirements, which is fine, but I would like the recipe calculator to be able to handle either one: pre-boil kettle top-up, or post-boil fermentor top-up. That way we cover partial mashers who do both partial wort and full wort boils. Just because I have a 7 gal kettle now doesn't mean I didn't start with a 3 gal one...

Brewfather does this. Let's you specify your mash liquid level, boil top up and ferm top up.

Gets much closer to the OG and FG this way.

Thanks for the request, we have a somewhat large overhaul coming to the mash and water volumes portions of the recipe builder. I'll make sure to include this support in that release!

Would it be possible to also see the info under the "more" header while viewing the recipe instead of editing it? For instance I'm planning a mini mash brew, it would be nice to know what my 1st runnings (approx.) would be given the efficiency listed, and the preboil and post boil gravities so I know what my targets are at each step. When viewing the recipe I can see my preboil gravity and original gravity targets, but that's it.

Semi related @Pricelessbrewing is there a mathematical thing for adjusting ibu when topping off for all grain brewing?
Topping off is a simple dilution so follow

(IBUwort * Vwort) / ( Vwort + Vwater)

I'll follow-up later today to check support in the software and open an update accordingly if it's missing. It's been awhile since I've tested partial boils/mashes.

Back