Bent nail 2.0 - Fermentation edition

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
now that the brewery is nearly finished, I am going to tackle the fermentation system. mostly I want to clean it up and add some controls that are kinda cludged together right now.

but mostly I dont want it to look like this anymore:

20220711_171813.jpg

here is the schematic plan.

Ferm.png

now that the brewery is nearly finished, I am going to tackle the fermentation system. mostly I want to clean it up and add some controls that are kinda cludged together right now.

View attachment 21461

View attachment 21460
Ah Frankenstein and I thought my glycol pannel was crazy I think it looks cool.
I rekon most people would be afraid to go near it.:D

IM afraid to go near it, lol. :cool:
Man there is a lot going on there man. I see your glycol lines have solenoid valves on it .

You obviously don't get the humidity we get here in summer them lines drip with condensation I've poured easily a cup full out of my slieves.

I still can't crash to 0c here I'm at 5c on my Mild I'm cool with this.
Fermentation temps though gee their tight.

Is that a pid type controller running your air con unit?

They do drip a little, the glycol is set for 40F, but it will go as low as 20, so well below normal freezing. But same as you, can't get much below 40F when crashing.

It is a PID controller, it runs the Solenoid valves and the heating relays. Keeps the temps within about 0.2 F

View attachment 21461

View attachment 21460
WOW! I wouldn't even know where to begin with that setup.
Good luck with the new build.

Last edited:
WOW! I wouldn't even know where to beging with that setup.
Good luck with the new build.
I built it and I believe me when I say. If something goes wrong it takes 30 minutes to trace to wires to figure it out, lol. Part of the reason it needs an update.
As with many prototype projects, it starts small and then gets patched with new things. Over the years it has gotten to be a rats nest

Got most of the items purchased. Some are being repurposed. The main controller is from the old brewery. The PID controller on the current ferm setup will get reused as well.

View attachment 21734

View attachment 21735
I bet this pid must cost a pretty penny ?
Look neat I like all the functions on it.
Has a built in timer cool.

I bet this pid must cost a pretty penny ?
Look neat I like all the functions on it.
Has a built in timer cool.
not super crazy, but not free, lol. $250, but it will control two fermentation simultaneously with each having its own PID parameters.
It also has a web server built in, so you can view\adjust temp from your phone. :p

https://smartpid.com/products/

its the M5 pro

Last edited:

Back