Alternative to airlock?

Sorry, how is the fermentation any more or less controlled with the cling wrap method? Your elements of control are, yeast pitch, sanitation, temperature and pressure. The only one that isn't controlled using this method is pressure as the poster isn't using a pressure fermentation vessel.
If you have unknown yeast and bacto "helping" then you probably have bigger issues than which airlock you are using- back to sanitation controls.
There is no way to sanitize cling wrap

Fermentation is going to blowout cling wrap and then let in whatever is in the air.

Cleaning and initial sanitation is not the issue.

Clingwrap is usually sterile on packaging. As long as the underside (inside of the roll) is placed facedown on the fermenter. To be sure I also spray with starsan or equivalent sanitiser.
It does not blow out, I have used it for years I can guarantee this does not happen. It will inflate, but the pressure is released through the sides where the elastic band is fastening it. It will also allow some pressure out through the wrap itself as it is a semi-permeable membrane.
Ive never experieinced either a blow out or an infection using this method in over 100 brews. It is a widely used practice in Oz by those still using non-pressure fermenting.

Wouldn't recommend any of this. You might get fermentation, but it's not controlled. Any yeast or bacteria can be helping and you have no idea what.
Well, I've been brewing for almost a decade and never had bad results. Not a single infection or even suspect brew. Quite the string of good luck...lol

As far as mashing, boiling and fermenting in the same kettle, so far so good. Heck my last one was a no chill one as an experiment. No issue.

That being said, I'm quite prepared to going back to using a proper fermenter should this method become problematic. But I do love the simplicity and less cleanup so far.

And that others may find in a search to solve a similar question and realise there are more simple methods.
Putting other ideas out there is not wasted discussion, it's how we all learn.

Interesting alternatives to the standard airlock; especially the cling wrap option. But, while the no-airlock methods described, do seem to work, I still feel better knowing that any air being sucked back into my fermenter has to travel through some sanitizer first.

I make primitive cider with no airlock. Just leave the cap on loose.

Back