Alternative to airlock?

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason a person couldn't just use an air filter on a fermenter to keep the nasty stuff out? seems like a simple way to eliminate any chance of suck back.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/breathable-bung-glass-carboys-cellarscience.html

A breathable Silicone stopper that acts as both a stopper and an airlock. Unique design allows CO2 pressure to escape but keeps Oxygen and airborne contamination out. It will create a vacuum if fermenting wort cools (as opposed to pulling water in from your traditional airlock). Airtight seal is great for extended fermented lager when CO2 production is still present but very slight.

Fits 3, 5, 6 & 6.5 gallon glass carboys, 1 gallon bottles, growlers, and 500 mL flasks.
Replaces Stopper Sizes #6, #6.5, #7, #8
Stopper Measurements: 0.94" x 1.48" (24mm x 37.5 mm)
The flapper stopper protrudes roughly 2.5" from the stopper to allow for easy assembly
1715136709147.png

I have been thinking of something with a one way valve.
Gas can go out, but not in.
Never got any further than thinking about it though

Basically a check valve

A micron HEPA filter to keep out bacteria and virii should be ok.

I use a blow off tube exclusively, and have never used an airlock. I set the end of the tube into an erlenmeyer flask, and put in star san to cover the tube end by only about 1/8-3/16 inch. Any suckback cannot draw in enough liquid to enter the fermenter.

I would think , if it cools , it is going to creat vacuum. Physics say so.
Only way around it would be add CO2 as it cools.
A bag of captured CO2 ?

here is a double air lock setup (not mine, from Homebrew Talk)
This would prevent o2 entering during cold crash

1715268014035.png

This is his explanation

CO2 comes down the hose, into the 1st jar, up the pipe, then down the pipe of the 2nd jar, bubbling up and out.

When I start cooling and everything contracts or I dump trub off the bottom of the conical, it sucks water from the 2nd jar back into the 1st, putting sanitary CO2 back into the conical rather than unfiltered air, or worse, a bunch of sanitizer.

The water level in the 2nd jar is low enough that if it sucks over all the liquid, it won't reach the connection for the hose, so it will just bubble air at that point.

When dumping trub, it sucks water back, but the pressure of the incoming CO2 pushes it all back over into the 2nd jar, resetting itself. Thought maybe someone else might appreciate it.

I would think , if it cools , it is going to creat vacuum. Physics say so.
Only way around it would be add CO2 as it cools.
A bag of captured CO2 ?
That how i do it. Mylar balloon

here is a double air lock setup (not mine, from Homebrew Talk)
This would prevent o2 entering during cold crash

View attachment 29328
This is his explanation

CO2 comes down the hose, into the 1st jar, up the pipe, then down the pipe of the 2nd jar, bubbling up and out.

When I start cooling and everything contracts or I dump trub off the bottom of the conical, it sucks water from the 2nd jar back into the 1st, putting sanitary CO2 back into the conical rather than unfiltered air, or worse, a bunch of sanitizer.

The water level in the 2nd jar is low enough that if it sucks over all the liquid, it won't reach the connection for the hose, so it will just bubble air at that point.

When dumping trub, it sucks water back, but the pressure of the incoming CO2 pushes it all back over into the 2nd jar, resetting itself. Thought maybe someone else might appreciate it.
Seen that before. For blowoff tube, seems the best of all worlds

I use a blow off tube into a growler when I brew Belgians. Got to make damn sure you don't fill up the carboy too much if doing that, I wonder how I know?

IMG_1156.jpeg
IMG_1157.jpeg

This is what I came up with, 1” I’d pvc in a 16oz mason jar and a 3/8 line to the fermenter. The pvc holds more than the jar and is 1” from the bottom. Should be impossible to get suck back. Just need to pick up another 6’ of tubing to connect the other fermenter to the 2nd line and system version 3.1 should be ready for test run on Saturday

View attachment 29329View attachment 29330

This is what I came up with, 1” I’d pvc in a 16oz mason jar and a 3/8 line to the fermenter. The pvc holds more than the jar and is 1” from the bottom. Should be impossible to get suck back. Just need to pick up another 6’ of tubing to connect the other fermenter to the 2nd line and system version 3.1 should be ready for test run on Saturday
The mother of all blow off tubes!!!!!

The Cooper's fermenter doesn't use an airlock and operates perfectly.

Used one of those for years until the tap gasket started to fail. I've been leaving the wort in the boil kettle to ferment since then to no ill effect.

Keep things simple. Plastic cling film over the opening held in place by an elastic band is all you will ever need.
Fermentation provides positive pressure through CO2and the cling film will allow it out once pressure hits a certain point whilst keeping any nasties (including O2) out.
I think it is very common in Oz to use this method and it works. The only time where it isn't great is if using a very active yeast or you have little headspace so the use of a blowoff tube is sometimes better.

The Cooper's fermenter doesn't use an airlock and operates perfectly.
Used one of those for years until the tap gasket started to fail. I've been leaving the wort in the boil kettle to ferment since then to no ill effect.
Keep things simple. Plastic cling film over the opening held in place by an elastic band is all you will ever need.
Fermentation provides positive pressure through CO2and the cling film will allow it out once pressure hits a certain point whilst keeping any nasties (including O2) out.
I think it is very common in Oz to use this method and it works. The only time where it isn't great is if using a very active yeast or you have little headspace so the use of a blowoff tube is sometimes better.
Wouldn't recommend any of this. You might get fermentation, but it's not controlled. Any yeast or bacteria can be helping and you have no idea what.

Wouldn't recommend any of this. You might get fermentation, but it's not controlled. Any yeast or bacteria can be helping and you have no idea what.
Sorry, how is the fermentation any more or less controlled with the cling wrap method? Your elements of control are, yeast pitch, sanitation, temperature and pressure. The only one that isn't controlled using this method is pressure as the poster isn't using a pressure fermentation vessel.
If you have unknown yeast and bacto "helping" then you probably have bigger issues than which airlock you are using- back to sanitation controls.

Back