Add fermenter trub to My Equipment?

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to add a value for fermenter trub in the equipment settings? I'm asking because when I use the priming sugar calc in the recipe builder, it's slightly overcarbed. When I account for trub loss in the separate priming sugar calc, it seems to be the right amount.

That doesn't make sense. If you didn't account for trub loss, then you have more beer. It should under carb it . more beer, same priming sugar.

Unless you are priming for the trub loss too?

I typically have 1 qt of yeast and trub left in the fermenter after packaging. If I have a recipe for 2.5 gallons, the recipe builder suggests 2.3 oz dextrose for 2.4 vol CO2 @68F (I think it assumes I will bottle all 2.5 gal). If I use the priming sugar calc and input 2.25 gallons, 2.4 vol CO2, and 68F, then it spits out 2 oz dextrose. Is there a way to have the recipe builder account for my 1 qt loss from the fermenter automatically for each recipe?
Screenshot_20210508-160824_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210508-160852_Chrome.jpg

Ahhhh ok. No idea on that system. I know brewfather has fermenter losses as part of your final volume so you can more accurately predict it

I'm going to defer to @Yooper for this.

Personally I don't think we should, as the amount of trub varies depending on the fermentables (protein content of grain mostly), and fermentation additions like fruit or wood cubes, amount of hops, and how flocculant the yeast is. Also separating the batch size, packaged size, and fermenter size is already confusing enough IMO, I'd like to stick to the community standard of just using the beer volume and not the finished fermentation volume.

Should this be in Feature Requests instead?

I could adjust my batch sizes to 2.25 qts, but that would change all the ingredient and water quantities. Maybe Fermenter trub could be an optional input, like MLT dead space and kettle trub. Right now I open another window to utilize the Priming Sugar calc, but it would be convenient for me if the recipe builder software accounted for this instead.

Can't you subtract the trub from the volume and use this as your yeast priming volume?
Yes which is what I currently do. I was asking if the recipe builder could do this step for me, instead of me opening a window for the priming calculator

First World problems. :p
I mean, I guess. In my mind it's similar to opening the mash calculator, water calc, or yeast calc. Is it the end of the world to open a new window to use these tools? Nope. But it sure is convenient that you can utilize these tools within the recipe builder itself. I'm paying for a product that makes life easier, I was simply curious if the software could fulfill my request, and if not, could it be added as an option. I guess I should have posted in Feature Requests, but I wanted to find out if it was already included first. My question was mostly aimed at the admins :rolleyes:

I mean, I guess. In my mind it's similar to opening the mash calculator, water calc, or yeast calc. Is it the end of the world to open a new window to use these tools? Nope. But it sure is convenient that you can utilize these tools within the recipe builder itself. I'm paying for a product that makes life easier, I was simply curious if the software could fulfill my request, and if not, could it be added as an option. I guess I should have posted in Feature Requests, but I wanted to find out if it was already included first. My question was mostly aimed at the admins :rolleyes:
I'm just messing with you. It should be able to do it.

As I mentioned, brewfather app does

a product that makes life easier
Oh, is that what all this is supposed to be? :rolleyes:
Life was easier when I didn't have to clean bottles, kegs, lines, fermenters and brewzillae.
Easier maybe not, but tastier, sure.:D

I think you're still mixing up the volumes here, batch size refers to the volume INTO the fermenter. There's nothing in the recipe builder that talks about or uses the packaging volume, if you try to catch this in the batch volume, there's way more stuff that's going to be off like your OG, IBU, FG etc etc.

I'll put in a request to add packaged volume to the little priming information here, I'd really like to avoid putting this anywhere near the other recipe volumes to avoid further confusion.

Because this is just as much recipe specific as it is equipment specific, I don't think it should be part of the equipment profile but a manual user input into the recipe.

Back