Yup, Water Profile Question

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by nflamedrash, May 15, 2017.

1. nflamedrash

nflamedrash Member

I will say I am one step above a novice when it comes to water. I have had my water tested, I use the Brun' Water spreadsheet and I frequently hit my desired mash pH.

My question is this: Does anyone have a list of Beer Styles and the accepted/preferred water profile? I know there are balanced profiles, hoppy profiles and historic city profiles out there and I do use them. But, what I am looking for is a basic profile list:

Wheat Beer Profile = (water profile)?
    Pale Ale Profile = (water profile)?
    Kolsch = (water profile)?
    DIPA = (water profile)?
    American Amber Larger = (water profile)?

I think you get the idea without the entire list. I feel like this list should exist but after searching I found nothing. Thoughts?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
  3. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    it wasn't;t too long ago where I had no idea what was what in terms of style.... but I started to understand the more I read and the more I experimented... take this with a grain of salt (from a drunk home brewer, because I'm rather wasted), but, more SO4 (sulfate) and less Cl (chloride) will yield a hoppy beer... and vice versa. More chloride and less sulfate will yield a maltier beer, those are the two things I've focused on. there's more to discuss, but when I'm less drunk.

Trialben likes this.
  4. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    2nd this as in more sulphate more drier bitter beer more chloride more malty beer.