your brewing trends

I've been trying to work brewing from a system dynamics perspective for a talk I'm giving next month. The differential equations for landing a probe on Enceladus are simple compared to the relationships among major brewing variables.

Nosybear said:
I've been trying to work brewing from a system dynamics perspective for a talk I'm giving next month. The differential equations for landing a probe on Enceladus are simple compared to the relationships among major brewing variables.

I've never met this Enceladus person, but good luck in "landing your probe".

Well, Enceladus is not a person, but a moon of Saturn. I refrained from talking about orbiting Uranus.

I absolutely love space talk, I monitor the news regularly, my buddy worked at NASA in Texas and yea after drinking for an hour Uranus jokes come to mind for the normals lol

Nosybear said:
Ky Common recipe here....

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... common-5-0

Being a Kentucky boy and a graduate of WKU, I have to perfect this one....

I just looked at your recipe and compared it to mine. The grists are very close. I used cluster all the way for hops though. I picked cali lager yeast because when researching it, I was reminded of a California Common but with a bourbon mash inspiration.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... cky-common
I made this in spring and just finished the last one off 2 weeks ago or so.. Definitely better when it's more fresh.

Anyways, my trend was big ABV when I first started. My third brew was a barleywine that I hated. When I realized I can't drink as many of those I toned it down and now I'm more into balanced beers. This summer I explored German wheat styles, and a Dampfbier.

I'm betting it was closer to a cream ale (think Ohio River Valley, including Pittsburgh) than a Cali Common but hey, whatever tastes good, right?

always changes over time too, might taste thicker today and thin and crisp next month

My story is a little strange, but I never tried anything else, than all grain and I never made an already existing recipe.

One day two and a half years ago I woke up, find I have two weeks of free time (it was spring break on my university) and decided i want to learn how to brew beer.
Downloaded some e-books, learnt some thing, I decided I want to start with all-grain or nothing and I want to brew my own recipies.
My first beer was an Irish Red Ale and lucky me, it turned out great! I haven't even used sanitization back than!
Sinc then I brew my own designes and they are mostly really good (39/44 were good since than).
I have learnt a few more things, now use sanitization and changed my equipment to make bigger batches.

So for me, big ambitions and a lucky start. :)

Back