Yet another Dry Hop question

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, my fermentation is only done in a glass carboy.
I don't do secondary fermentation (or try not to).
I let my beer sit in the primary for at least 25-35 days.

Now the question is when dry hopping, how long should I let the hop sit in the beer?
I have read many posts and they all have many times to dry hop.
So if I'm going to leave the beer for 30 days should I dry hop on day 23-24?

You got to be a man with a lot of patience :D 25-35 days... way longer than I do! But those times I've been dry hopping I have had them in the beer for 3 or 4 days, then cold crash.

lol, last two were 44 days! (back to back brew days though)

I just kegged a beer I made November 15th. That pipeline stands still when nobody is drinking!

3 to 5 days is normal. You can go longer but sometimes you end up with "grassy" flavor from sitting on the hops too long. I've done a week without getting that though.

I second all of the above. 3-4 days at the end of primary fermentation. Some bump the temp a bit too. I dump mine direct into primary and then strain out the hop pieces when I transfer to the bottling bucket. Still end up with some tiny hop floaties though. Can dry hop in a bag to avoid this (but this reduces hoppiness imo).

And, Yet another Dry Hop answer.
It depends on the beer.
When doing a NEIPA, the 1st round of DH go in around day 3 at krausen drop. 2nd round go in the D rest.
For an IPA or APA, I typically go in for a week, cold crash, and then transfer the beer to a serving keg.
I've left bags of hops in the serving keg for 2 weeks with no ill effects, Serving Randal style.
I've left them in a Pin and served cask style after 2 plus weeks. All good.
I feel you have more chance of oxidizing and getting "grassy" flavors outside of a closed system, so I'd reduce, as much as possible, opening you beer to the environment.
And lastly, if its Hoppy, drink it fast!
Cheers,
Brian

3 days. In a screen. Straight to Keg for conditioning.

Back