Yeast

EvanAltman36

Trial Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking another dumb question, but I was wondering whether it's possible to use 2 different yeast strains in one beer? For instance, a packet of dry along with a vial of liquid? Because my brewing is spaced out and my resources are limited, I'm not cleaning and re-pitching any yeast, so dry is a much less expensive option. Using the pitch rate calculator, I'd be looking at $25 for yeast alone if I go the Wyeast or White Labs route. I've had good results with the dry yeast though, so I guess if it ain't broke there's no need to fix it, right?

Making yeast starters is a better option for getting liquid yeast up to the desired pitch rate:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/08/19 ... r-og-1040/

Some beers do use blended yeasts, and some liquid yeast products are pre-blended with several strains. Blending is something to experiment with, but shouldn't be used to save money.

Larry comes through as always. Thanks for the good info. I think I'll try different options, from dry to liquid, to starters and find out what gets me the best results.

Back