Yeast Starter vs NB Fast Pitch

Brewer #404298

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
The recipe I am reading says the author used 2L of starter with Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast. OG is 1.072. The starter required 7.5oz of DME. I used the calculator and that would require 1 pack of yeast. This is about $3 worth of DME.

I was given 2 cans of Northern Brewer Fast Pitch with some used gear I bought (plus a flask and magnetic stir plate). Fast Pitch claims to be able to make 2L of starter using 2 cans of Fast Pitch, but they say to use 1 pack of yeast per can. This is about $9 worth of fast start plus a 2nd pack of yeast.

Any thoughts here?

The recipe I am reading says the author used 2L of starter with Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast. OG is 1.072. The starter required 7.5oz of DME. I used the calculator and that would require 1 pack of yeast. This is about $3 worth of DME.

I was given 2 cans of Northern Brewer Fast Pitch with some used gear I bought (plus a flask and magnetic stir plate). Fast Pitch claims to be able to make 2L of starter using 2 cans of Fast Pitch, but they say to use 1 pack of yeast per can. This is about $9 worth of fast start plus a 2nd pack of yeast.

Any thoughts here?
I ussualy do 1500mL starters with 1 can and 1 pack of yeast and it works out fine. if you are gonna do a 2L, you might want to add a bit more wort. another can of wort or some DME.

all that said. I have never made a starter for dry yeast. they have all the nutrient in the package and dry yeast doesnt go bad nearly as fast as liquid does.

Any thoughts here?
The yeast pitch calculator on here should help you calculate what you need.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/
I'm betting with an OG of 1.072 your gunna need more than one packet.

That S04 can be an aggressive fermenter.

Any thoughts here?
A 2 liter starter will roughly triple your yeast count, a 1 l starter will double it. You want more yeast than 'usual' for a 1.072 OG. And a starter seems to work best with 1.040 wort.

A can is half a liter (or so), diluting it with half liter of water should yield a liter of 1.040 wort. Or mix up the dme.

The recipe editor here on Brewers Friend will tell you how many yeast cells is ideal, use that to figure if a doubled yeast count (about 250 Bn cells) is close enough. A slight underpitch is not terrible.

For example, a typical 1.060 batch (5 gal) for me calls for 130 Bn cells or so. A dry pack of S04 has 100 Bn. Close enough.

Just-started yeasties tend to be more vigorous than yeast from the pack in my experience, both dry or liquid, so that counts in your favor with a slight underpitch, if necessary.

Just remember, using liquid yeast (your starter) means you need to oxygenate the wort at pitch. Shaking, splashing, bubbling or however, will do that.

An alternative is to use 2 yeast packets, dry. Likely good enough.

... I have never made a starter for dry yeast. they have all the nutrient in the package and dry yeast doesnt go bad nearly as fast as liquid does.
Me either, but I do hydrate the yeast before I pitch it. I typically have activity within 30 minutes or so!

I use a variety of yeast types; dry, liquid and slurry. Dry yeast does not require a starter, and generally does not require hydration before pitching. Depending on the freshness of liquid or slurry, and the original gravity of the wort it is to ferment, a starter may or may not be required. Use the yeast pitch calculator on this site to get a good idea how to proceed. Save your Fast Pitch and starter creation for a liquid yeast (or slurry) with a future brew.

Back