Yeast Starter Questions

Sky4meplease

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello,

When is the best time to pull a starter from the stir plate?

Is it strain dependent?

Does when you pull it have anything to do with where it is going from the stir plate (fridge, wort etc.).

Thank you.

Good question, can't say I have any kind of scientific answer, but I let it run 24-48 hrs and then put it in the fridge overnight 12-24 hrs, then let it warm up while I brew, decant, swirl it up good and pitch. Seems to be working.

I toss mine in the fridge when I don't see any small bubbles coming up from the bottom of the flask.

usually when the bubbles from the center go away and no foam at all

To be fair this is a lager strain but it took 36 hours before fermentation began.

This 2L starter was on the stir plate for 78 hours total.

I wanted to get a second opinion because I also read where someone left starters on for 24 hours after visible signs of fermentation ceased.

the purpose of using a stir plate is to grow the yeast not to ferment the wort, although it does happen most of the time.

For a perfect brew your starter should be the same temperature as the wort and your time to pour it into the fermenter should be at the starters high krausen so the wort should be cooled to the temp its going to ferment at as well as the starter.

otherwise you would let the starter grow and ferment out completely then follow the same procedure but in this case I would decant before adding it to the wort

so its your call when you think the starter is fermented completely, for best results you would use a gravity test

Back