Yeast starter problem?

Chris O

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I started a yeast starter yesterday and put it on my stir plate around 3pm yesterday. Woke up this morning and it looked a bit different than others in the past. Really chunky...anyway, I switched off the stir plate for a minute and everything dropped out almost immediately. Literally...all the light colored yeast/trub etc immediately dropped out to the bottom in less than 30 seconds. I’ve never seen this before and it’s disconcerting. I’m going to leave it on the stir plate another day or so. But...anyone ever seen this before? Advice? Thanks in advance!

Hey folks, I started a yeast starter yesterday and put it on my stir plate around 3pm yesterday. Woke up this morning and it looked a bit different than others in the past. Really chunky...anyway, I switched off the stir plate for a minute and everything dropped out almost immediately. Literally...all the light colored yeast/trub etc immediately dropped out to the bottom in less than 30 seconds. I’ve never seen this before and it’s disconcerting. I’m going to leave it on the stir plate another day or so. But...anyone ever seen this before? Advice? Thanks in advance!
What yeast? Some are more flocculant than others.

That yeast drops like a rock. It's somewhat like WLP007 and looks like cottage cheese when it drops. I believe you starter is fine.

That yeast drops like a rock. It's somewhat like WLP007 and looks like cottage cheese when it drops. I believe you starter is fine.
That is exactly what it looks like! Cottage cheese! I was worried that it wasn’t going to start fermentation because it’s only being kept in suspension by the stir plate. Thanks for your reply!

Wyeast's 1968 London Ale ESB does the same thing.

Back