yeast starter from bottle

I've had some great successes using the following simple method:
  1. Sanitize all equipment that will come into contact with the yeast, including a large spoon, a strainer, and a storage container.

2. Open the bottle and pour off the clear beer, leaving the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Try to pour as gently as possible to avoid disturbing the sediment.

3. Using a sanitized spoon, scoop out as much of the sediment as possible and transfer it to a sanitized strainer placed over a sanitized container.

4. Allow the sediment to strain through the strainer and into the container. This will separate the yeast from any other particles or debris.

5. Cover the container and store it in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. This will allow the yeast to settle to the bottom of the container, making it easier to separate from the liquid.

6. Carefully pour off the liquid, leaving the yeast at the bottom of the container. The yeast can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or can be used immediately for fermentation.

7. Rehydrate the yeast before pitching it into your wort, according to the yeast manufacturer instructions.

Make a starter and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Well, I am close to bottling Bunyippy, which means I'll brew another beer to go on the trub, which then means I have wort on the go :p
So all I have to do is steal some wort of that batch and give it a try
Bunjip is bottled, just 5 litre. There was a lot of trub.
I put a this trub in a sanitised pet bottle.
Bottle is full. I've closed it and put in the fridge.
It has about 1/3 of the sugar I would normally give it for carbonation.
Should I split it over 2 bottles maybe? And lid on loose to let CO2 escape?

I want to use it tomorrow.

Then I'll also start my beer bottle yeast recovery action (with wort)

Bunjip is bottled, just 5 litre. There was a lot of trub.
I put a this trub in a sanitised pet bottle.
Bottle is full. I've closed it and put in the fridge.
It has about 1/3 of the sugar I would normally give it for carbonation.
Should I split it over 2 bottles maybe? And lid on loose to let CO2 escape?

I want to use it tomorrow.

Then I'll also start my beer bottle yeast recovery action (with wort)
Yes, lid on loose. Or alu foil.

Two bottles lets you use it for two batches.

To just save the yeast, no sugar needed. Just keep it cold. To increase the yeast count, then some sugar or better some wort and let it go for a day at ambient.

And lid on loose to let CO2 escape?

Attagirl....yes, loose or tight if you want to see your pet bottle swell up.

Methinks a bot or a carbon life form using AI like ChatGPT..step 7 is mighty suspect from someone well versed in yeast propagation.

Yes, lid on loose. Or alu foil.

Two bottles lets you use it for two batches.

To just save the yeast, no sugar needed. Just keep it cold. To increase the yeast count, then some sugar or better some wort and let it go for a day at ambient.
It's in the fridge.
Going to loosen the lid now :)
Top quarter has cleared. If enough clears, I'll decant to a small bottle and carbonate.
If not, I suppose I should be fine by shaking it all up and using about half of it

As a former poster here advised, it is always a good idea to keep yeast slurry under a protective covering of the beer from which it was derived. I have a couple jars of slurry in the fridge, like these.
image.jpg
When I want to use them, I could either decant some of the liquid and direct pitch, or build a starter.

So, I should just use the settled bit (at the bottom)?
Or shake it all before using and use a mixture? I can't imagine the little bit of beer having a huge influence on the next brew

The few times I have reused the yeast I poured off the liquid. Maybe rinsed a bit with the fresh wort.

I generally do as Don does. Though, if you're harvesting from the fermenter the amount of trub just builds and builds. When that gets too much I pour off most of the beer and then swirl lightly a few times and pour the first 10-20% of the slurry into a new starter and dump the rest.

There should be plenty of yeast for a new starter as most of the yeast settle closer to the top than the bottom.

Sounds like I kay have done it more ot less right :)
I poured of the beer (and bottled in small pet bottle), shook the remainder and used about half of the slurry.
Left over is in the fridge. I'll have to check if there is still some beer above it.

Is that the super low gravity wort / high nutrient method @Trialben ?
Na mate just the wort I made on the rice lager beer.

But! Honestly I was thinking about that low carbon the high nutrient ¿ starter.

I was thinking especially for a lager batch i could use some rice malt extract to make a 1.012 ~ gravity 2 lt starter with a good teaspoon worth of nutrient as a pre step starter before I then hit it again another step with the RWS from brew day.

Regarding that Nova Lager Yeast it kicked off fermentation fairly quickly 2 hours post pitch yesterday but then scared the crap outta me hours later as activity halted until this morning when it got back underway.
I've not had this happen before with a brief kick off then a pause unless something untoward happened elsewhere and my airlock was telling me lies
20230413_120127.jpg

Seeing as the gas has gotta go into the liquid side on this front keg then out the gas post and through the line there is plenty of room for gas expansion/ contraction as the day warms up and cool.... possible explanation

Back