Yeast starter calculator question???

William257

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a little confused about the Brewer’s Friend pitching Calculator. See I want to brew a beer that has an original gravity of 1.064 now I see two selections one saying Pro brewer 1.0 an the other saying Pro Brewer 1.25 now which one would I want to use for the beer I going to brew that’s 1.064og?

Depends on your preference, at some point. I always shoot for at least 1.0 million cells per milliliter for ales in general, even relatively low gravity, and 1.25 or more for anything over about 1.068. Lagers are a different story.

Last edited:
The 1.0 should work fine. If you are worried that you need more yeast use 1.25. I think the 1.0 Will be fine though... Plenty of people have Under pitched and still made good beer.

Reactions: J A
For Ales I use .75 unless the OG is over about 1.070. Lagers, I just double that. Always have good fermentations using those ratios. Remember to enter the production date of the yeast to get a fairly accurate estimate of your cell count.

Now THERE's a rabbit hole.... There are a lot of factors that go into an "optimum" pitch rate. Fresh yeast vs. repitch. Ale vs. lager. Warm vs cold fermentation. Esters vs. "clean" fermentation.... In fact, there's an entire book written about it! So when it all comes down to it, Bob's method is about as "scientific" as any and it works. In fact, it's pretty close to mine!

Back