yeast layer

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Which one is the yeast layer?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg

How long will it last after I wash it and put it in the fridge?

if sealed properly 6 months is the norm to keep yeast alive

My thoughts on capturing as much yeast as possible in that situation is resuspend everything wait 10-15min for trub to settle a bit them pour off yeast into another clean jar. Im looking at dping some yeast washing soon to save my latest lager yeast. I acidentily broke my jar id saved some in on the shed floor...:(

I do it a bit differently, I save the trub and put the sealed jar in the 33F cooler for 3 days, usually the yeast will drop to the bottom and solidify and you just pour off the top without disturbing the yeast, timing is everything if you wait even 15 minutes after taking out of the cooler it might not work

if it works as expected you can just pour finished beer on top and save, that will seal it

Well well well Ozarks thankyou. im looking at decanting remain trub into a flask. So your saying if i chill this down the yeast will drop to bottom?

correct, if chilled cold enough and long enough it will drop and solidify

Below is pick of saved 34/70 slurry no yeast at bottom:rolleyes: its been in kegerator at 4c?

I can either just save slurry like that which i cant see as a prob only that its not enough for a lager pitch and a starter with all that trub would most likely keep knocking my stir bar offo_O.

Here it is

Attachments

• 20170908_133620.jpg
    20170908_133620.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 144
time will drop it, its not dome until the white layer is on the bottom

Back