Yeast Identification / Substitute

bigdaddy0442

Trial Member
Reaction score
I found a American Amber Clone recipe that I am wanting to make but it calls for the addition of a "Vienna CA V1" yeast. I can't seem to find any information on this strain. Any information would be greatly appreciated including a source or a substitute. The other yeast called for in the recipe is Safale US-05. I have that one.

Thanks in Advance!!

Bigdaddy0442

I have not ever heard of Vienna CA v1 yeast. There are many good beers that I have brewed with US-05. If you have had success with US-05, use it.

Google search comes up empty, so it looks like nobody else on Earth has used that yeast in recent history. US-05 is probably a safe choice. Or if you want just a little less attenuation, try Nottingham or S-04. Also the Lallemand London ale yeast is pretty great with even lower attenuation.

I found a American Amber Clone recipe that I am wanting to make but it calls for the addition of a "Vienna CA V1" yeast. I can't seem to find any information on this strain. Any information would be greatly appreciated including a source or a substitute. The other yeast called for in the recipe is Safale US-05. I have that one.

Thanks in Advance!!

Bigdaddy0442
I'd go with a clean American strain.

Back