yeast dates

brewmer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just recieved a wyeast2000 budvar smackpack this morning for a brewday next week, the manufacture date on the smackpack is jan 2013, the instructions say use within 6 months of said date, might have to ring up my hbs :(
whats the normal times for dates on these packs ?

Where did you get it from?
I'd send it back.
The viability of that yeast is slim to none and although you could build it up, it'd take many steps and time to get it to the proper pitch rate. Also, sanitation can be an issue with multiple steps.
Brian

Thanks brian bought it from brew uk, they were good as gold sent me another one, it was listed with that date but i missed it in the advert as it wasn't in their dated yeast section, i didnt think i had to check dates on new yeast packs/vials, brew uk said they normaly put them in dated section at half price before they go out of date, all good now, they sent a new pack :)

Now my stirplate has packed up grrr...... its nearly christmas santa gonna help me out this year ?

Glad to here you got a new one! :mrgreen:

yes me 2 the new pack arrived today, fair play to them for sorting me out so quickly, i might run some experiments with the old pack when my new stirplate comes see how big i can grow it, if at all

I'm picky when I go to my LHBS when it comes to buying fresh yeast. I sift through the entire bin to get the freshest pack. They sort the old stuff to the front at some stores, and I grab from the back.

Wyeast is easy because they print a manufactured on date right on the front. I look for packs that aren't swollen, and under a month old. Sometimes I get lucky and get exactly the strain I want and it is only a week old!

White labs packaging is annoying because they have a 'use by' date that is is anywhere from 4 to 6 months out, and they are not consistent about that.

Always check your yeast dates!

unfortunatley my yeasts are always bought online, my local hbs has no wet yeast, the shop i order from have a section of short dated yeast that i never even look at so i didnt expect to get sent old dated vials for 6½ quid but ill definatly look a bit closer next time i order ..learning curve for me :D

Back