Yeast Capture

That mandarin one looks very much like a brett pellicle. I'm guessing the gravity will continue to trend to 1.00 on that one. The pellicle is the brett reducing the amount of oxygen getting into the beer. It likes some oxygen, but not too much.

The bee one is interesting. Also looks like a pellicle, which should mean brett, but it looks different than any of the commercial ones I've used. Maybe just because it's a smaller container. Or it's a mould that looks like no mould I've seen yet.

Small vomit/dry cheese smells early on can be good. Brett can create enzymes to turn butyric acid into ethyl butyrate, which is a tinned pineapple, tropical fruit ester. Brett. Clausenii is good at this.

Last edited:
That mandarin one looks very much like a brett pellicle. I'm guessing the gravity will continue to trend to 1.00 on that one. The pellicle is the brett reducing the amount of oxygen getting into the beer. It likes some oxygen, but not too much.

The bee one is interesting. Also looks like a pellicle, which should mean brett, but it looks different than any of the commercial ones I've used. Maybe just because it's a smaller container. Or it's a mould that looks like no mould I've seen yet.

Small vomit/dry cheese smells early on can be good. Brett can create enzymes to turn butyric acid into ethyl butyrate, which is a tinned pineapple, tropical fruit ester. Brett. Clausenii is good at this.
Thankyou for weighing in on this discussion Mark.
Yes that mandarin capture one was like a film of plastic floating on the surface.

Man I swirled them to get a sniff of the Aromatics maybe I screwed up:oops:...

I'll leave this until this weekend to take gravity samples.

Hopefully will be brewing another beer this weekend so will prep some more open captures maybe as you said this time inoculating some wort with orange blossoms and maybe some more stingless bees or lavender too many choices lol.

This
Popped up in my YouTube list

After watching it I thought of a great potential yeast Capture the wild s
Raspberries up the road from me
20230906_172832.jpg

Maybe worth a shot next batch i do!

Alright beer was brewed on weekend
Wort was 1.054 OG bittered to 26ibus and BF predicted PH 5.3 (not measured).

I watered some of the starter jars down but only a bit I didn't want to raise the PH too much and get some bad bacteria from this also using hops I hope to capture yeast over lacto ect will see...

We went a foraging thus arvo and collected some raspberries and mulberries Winning!
20230911_165229.jpg

This and back at home grabbed some Lemonade blossoms ( Citrus Lemon thing)
20230911_170433.jpg

Some lavender as promised
20230911_170542.jpg

Into the 4 jars they went
20230911_195634.jpg

Two as you can see got a healthy serving of trub they were the first two jars on wort transfer :)

I had a 5th jar which is sitting on my fence tonight under a bit arse flowering macadamia tree great timing eh!

20230911_170903.jpg

Oki Doki well I'm really hedging my bets this time ladies and gents I'll catcha when we got signs of life:D!

That mulberrie one has already got a fair bit of action going on!
20230913_164537.jpg

So does the Lemonade Blossom one
20230913_164546.jpg

The rest are looking dormant.

OK decided I'd get a taste of them previous "yeast captures" and take some refractometer reading to see where we landed gravity wise.

Both have been cold crashing in my Glycol Chamber.

Wort OG is 13 Brix 1.053.

Bee capture landed on 11 Brix with alcohol correction making it 1.9% abv great!
20230913_193528.jpg

As ya can see it don't look to palatable but of course I slurped some after seeing Alcohol present.
Notes = Tangy, fruity, lemon zest, acidic, vinegary. Yeah not great :p.

Mandy open air Capture it's alot clearer less of them chunky white floaties but has that thin plastic film type thing afloat on top.
20230913_193532.jpg

It was a little different it finished 10.4 brix 2.4 % abv

Notes = Musty, sorta like a sweaty armpit smell or that pine forest smell :eek:eek:).
Dry Tangy not as acidic clearer in the glass.

I'm thinking that musty pine forest sweaty armpit thing is some sorta phenols smell it's not grossing me out I still tasted it lol:p

Of them both I would say I prefer the open air mandy one it's the better of the two in my newby opinion but I'm now hoping for something better from my next batch of yeast captures ;).

I've learnt a bit on these first two.

A its good to have some acidity and hops in the wort to encourage yeast over other bugs.

B the presence of Alcohol and acidty means nothing too nasty has grown in there.

C dont airate once the culture is pitched you want an Anaerobic fermentation.

Cheers

Last edited:
Update what's it 3 days since I pitched the fruit and such.
20230915_150317.jpg

All but the open air capture jar is active!
That to me is positive on my cleaning and sanitation and no chill brew method because it's not done nothing 3 or 4 days since putting wort in that jar cool!
20230915_200103.jpg

The mulberry looks like it's almost done!

The raspberry one is going great gunns I can even see the tiny fermentation bubbles up the side! I just had to take a wiff yeah nice n fruity no armpit lol
20230915_195535.jpg

Yeah I couldn't fish them raspberries out of all the jars this is the one I couldn't fish the fruit out them raspberries are too soft.

Anyhow this is looking really promising to me.

Good timing too the mulberries are near done fruiting up the road.

Update what's it 3 days since I pitched the fruit and such.
View attachment 26619
All but the open air capture jar is active!
That to me is positive on my cleaning and sanitation and no chill brew method because it's not done nothing 3 or 4 days since putting wort in that jar cool!
View attachment 26621

The mulberry looks like it's almost done!

The raspberry one is going great gunns I can even see the tiny fermentation bubbles up the side! I just had to take a wiff yeah nice n fruity no armpit lolView attachment 26620
Yeah I couldn't fish them raspberries out of all the jars this is the one I couldn't fish the fruit out them raspberries are too soft.

Anyhow this is looking really promising to me.

Good timing too the mulberries are near done fruiting up the road.
Much better this round Ben.

Much better this round Ben.
Gotta say last 2 were spur of the moment free wort after brew day:).

Yes as of last night's glimpse towards the jars the mulberrie jar had transformed to a health pellicle ontop replacing the more usual krausen.
The other three continue to ferment nicely as does the main batch with Nova Lager.

But honestly that open air capture is still void of action hmmm .

Alright want to choose one to throw some wort at from brew day today here we go.

All of my little beauties lined up.
20231001_131710.jpg

Bar open capture its included in this tasting.

1st up is the Rasberry one it came in at 11Brix this one was the best one it had wine notes fruity brite and interesting as my taster description
20231001_132045.jpg

It also grew the most funky top on it.

LEMONADE blossom 10 brix it is it was The most hazy of them description Musty -Lemony and the liquid was a bit viscous crazt huh it was a NOPE! That put me off
20231001_132146.jpg

Next Mulberry this one is my second favourite and it looks to be still fermenting and from memory I think it and Rasberry took off first. Description More tart than the last two - Sorta Phenolic smell some vinegar- sour
20231001_132449.jpg

It's pellicle looks nice and clean that dark bit is some left over Mulberry.

Lavender blossom is next it was the clearest of the bunch by a long way it had two dark little fungus things floating on top though.
20231001_132814.jpg

Almost no pellicle as you can see I was quite excited about this one. 9 brix it finished. Description Not Nice weird tounge sensation NOPE.

OK last but not least the open air capture
I sware it looked like nothing much happened in this jar it two has remained quite clear and slmost lifless bad these dark floaties
20231001_133133.jpg

Anyhow I'm thinking I will keep the Rasberry and Mulberry captures.

I might dump them other jars clean them and add some wort to them and propagate the two favourites.

24hrs In plenty of action this morning
20231003_093408.jpg

Them jars either side is the supernatant with wort poured ontop (thinking may be cleaner the pitch.

So I'm thinking next brew I Do I'm gunna rack some wort into some PET bottles and do a mini ferment and taste test:)

24hrs In plenty of action this morningView attachment 26820
Them jars either side is the supernatant with wort poured ontop (thinking may be cleaner the pitch.

So I'm thinking next brew I Do I'm gunna rack some wort into some PET bottles and do a mini ferment and taste test:)
You my friend are the "mad scientist" of brewing! It's like taking a class on brewing!

Alrighty m
20231015_075901.jpg

Plenty of yeast at the bottom of this one it looks.
20231015_075903.jpg

I tasted both then into the pet bottles they've went.
20231015_080318.jpg

I watered them down a touch but didn't take a OG reading they were from 1.065 wort so around 1.050ish

Cool well I'll be able to ferment and carb em in there and serve in a month or so

Mulberry one was going gang busters last night before bed which was interesting I thought Rasberry one would start first.

A little check in on these two.

No Krausen on em interesting huh?
20231017_212425.jpg

They are both fermenting as per above that evening after pitch they were moving as you can see the mulberrie one on the right has started to flock a bit of yeast out aswell cool.

A little check in on these two.

No Krausen on em interesting huh?
View attachment 26977
They are both fermenting as per above that evening after pitch they were moving as you can see the mulberrie one on the right has started to flock a bit of yeast out aswell cool.
Kinda like a big starter.

Back