Yeast. Build

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by headshaker, Dec 22, 2016.

1. headshaker

headshaker New Member

When do you know your yeast is ready to stoped for the next built when 2 stage building?

2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Once yeast has finished fermenting. So I use activity in flask. It will throw a krausen and when that has settled and no bubbles are making their way up the glass it's time to chill decant then step her up again ;)

3. headshaker

headshaker New Member

I used a couple anti foam drops ,that threw me off ,thanks for your reply.

4. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Usually in the starters I've spun up 24 hrs it's fermented out at warm temp but give it two or three if in controlled temperature..

I made a two liter starter for lager awhile back a week before brew day spun it at 12 c for 2 days then cold crashed for two days then mixed up another 2 liter starter and spun that up. For brew day I dumped her all into fermentor :D

headshaker likes this.
  5. newmanwell

newmanwell Active Member

I have had much more success buy having a 5 liter flask and make larger starters. In order to get a good amount of yeast propagation a half liter starter would need to be stepped up to a 5 liter starter. To do a 1 liter starter followed by another 1 liter starter doesn't get you the yeast count you think you'd be getting. It's talked about in the Yeast book.

headshaker likes this.
  6. headshaker

headshaker New Member

Yes your right.I started with 2 liquid packs first then added 20 ounces of dry malt.It doesn't look like much in the 800 flask but in a 6 inch Tupperware container it measured about 2 inches thick.I loaded tonight that into 24 oz of malt.It went to in work a few minutes ,I'll be a little short on count but its a 11 gal batch of brown at a little over 10 .Sort of a little hopped up (Janet brown)called broke ankle brown.Sorry I drifted a bit I use the yeast calculator brewers friend to go by .I,ll wash this batch and have all the yeast I need for another dark brew.

7. Trialben

Pest control tech
    No five litre flask here newmanwell I'm sure that yeast proporgation would work much better than my 2&2 starter;). What I did find is my fermentation on the 2&2 was probably 12 hour lag at 12c she was bubbling steadily next day after pitching. Today I'm only doing a 2.3lt proporgation and going to pitch the lot into lager I'm brewing today hope that fairs well. I won't know the lag time as I'm pitching and going on a little holiday :oops: hopefully she gets rocking whilst I'm away:).

newmanwell likes this.
  8. bwestfall

bwestfall New Member

I have mine on a stir plate. Once i see krausen I'll let it go until it falls then let it go another 24 hours for oxygen uptake.