yeast and temperature fluctuations

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So far, I've been using kveik voss as yeast as it's been hot here.
It is slowly cooling down somewhat and I was wondering if I could use one of my other yeasts.
The fermenter will be placed in a cooler box to level out the fluctuations somewhat.
Current cooler box temp are roughly 29 oC (between 27 and 31)
(84 oF between 80 and 88)
Once it cools down a bit more, could the following yeasts deal with such fluctuations?
Mangrove Jack
29 - french saison
47- belgian abbey
31- belgian tripel

Lallemand belle saison
And
Fermentis S33 and T58?

And till what sort of temps could I use kveik voss?

Nobody?
I know most of those yeast work at higher temps. Just worried about the temp differences.
The onesI mentioned are worse case and measured in air. The liquid will fluctuate less.
Should I try them or wait till I got temoerature controlled fermentation (probably by May(
Kveik seems to handle all temps and fluctuations without a problem

I’ve used T58. Upper 60s F for a few days then low 70s when I brewed Alan’s Pee.
Voss you can roll in the 90s if need be. A few degree swing isn’t really an issue.

So far, I've been using kveik voss as yeast as it's been hot here.
It is slowly cooling down somewhat and I was wondering if I could use one of my other yeasts.
The fermenter will be placed in a cooler box to level out the fluctuations somewhat.
Current cooler box temp are roughly 29 oC (between 27 and 31)
(84 oF between 80 and 88)
Once it cools down a bit more, could the following yeasts deal with such fluctuations?
Mangrove Jack
29 - french saison
47- belgian abbey
31- belgian tripel

Lallemand belle saison
And
Fermentis S33 and T58?

And till what sort of temps could I use kveik voss?
Mauribrew 497 Lager is supposed to be usable to 30 oC, I've run it as high as low 70s F with no problems(given a 3-5 week lagering period).

Supposedly the same yeast as Mangrove Jack M54 and Fermentis K-97, but don't quote me on that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit#gid=1846233287

Thanks!
I think it is time I start experimenting with different yeasts, although I really like playing around with Kveik. It is so forgiving ;)
But it will be nice to get to know (some of) the other yeasts.

I haven't used any of the yeast strains you list there, so I can't comment on them specifically.
The thing to keep in mind though is the heat generated by fermentation.
Your beer could be three or four degrees higher than the ambient temperature.

Thanks!
I think it is time I start experimenting with different yeasts, although I really like playing around with Kveik. It is so forgiving ;)
But it will be nice to get to know (some of) the other yeasts.
Fermentis S04 is one of my favorites. Has a wide temp range, is relatively quick, and doesn't need to be rehydrated or put in a starter 1st. Not sure what yeast is available to you tho

I've done US-04 at 72°F / 21C on porter and got a lot of plumb like esters. I like that but that was a dumb luck thing early on but higher than that might not improve things.

I really think Voss and your other Kveiks are your route for a clean ale. I've never done one but you might want to check out your saisons since some of those recipes call for higher temps. I have been spending a lot of podcast time with Drew Beachem on Experimental Brewing and he talks about his saisons and his hot garage in Los Angles. While I can't cite a specific episode, I'm listening to old stuff from I think 2016ish...somewhere around the 30's

The safale yeast were bought as sort of general purpose.
The other were selected for working at higher temps and for preferred beer type.
Voss is amazing at what it can handle, but we are going towards winter (southern hemisphere) and the other yeasts I got can come into play.
It's just really the temp fluctuation I worry about as I only got a cooler box.
Like our winter gives us 25 oC high and 7 low (air temp. Fluctuation reduced in a cooler box and of course liquids reduce those fluctuations as well.
OK, I'm rambling thanks to vat 69

To rephrase: what dry yeast is really sensitive to temps?

The safale yeast were bought as sort of general purpose.
The other were selected for working at higher temps and for preferred beer type.
Voss is amazing at what it can handle, but we are going towards winter (southern hemisphere) and the other yeasts I got can come into play.
It's just really the temp fluctuation I worry about as I only got a cooler box.
Like our winter gives us 25 oC high and 7 low (air temp. Fluctuation reduced in a cooler box and of course liquids reduce those fluctuations as well.
OK, I'm rambling thanks to vat 69

To rephrase: what dry yeast is really sensitive to temps?
Probably something that wants to go low and slow, like a lager yeast

Temp fluctuations are bad for yeast, no matter what type. Could you put in more insulation like thick blankets or foam?

I used to wrap my 1 gallon (3.8 L) fermenter in Reflectix (waterproof insulation) with a big enough gap for ice packs, and then put all it all in a 5 gallon water cooler. Was able to keep lager temps in California

Can you get to ~ 21-24C in your cold box?
If you can get around that range and then you could make a swamp cooler for your Fermentor. If you hold it there for the beginning of fermentation, you can use most ale yeasts.

Definitely good suggestions above :cool:
When the weather cools down, the temp in cooler will drop as well.
Eventually, I will have a proper fermentation fridge. It's just at the moment I don't have enough power to run another fridge with an inkbird and I need a new battery for my 12 V solar freezer. I'm thinking of getting a 12V temperature controller for this one, once I can afford the battery.

For now I'll double check the required/suggested temps for the yeasts and maybe just try a batch

Definitely good suggestions above :cool:
When the weather cools down, the temp in cooler will drop as well.
Eventually, I will have a proper fermentation fridge. It's just at the moment I don't have enough power to run another fridge with an inkbird and I need a new battery for my 12 V solar freezer. I'm thinking of getting a 12V temperature controller for this one, once I can afford the battery.

For now I'll double check the required/suggested temps for the yeasts and maybe just try a batch
Do you like saisons Zambezi I made some tasty saisons last year some of them seemed to me as clean as ale yeast (pressure fermented migta dropped the esters)
You can even throw some ginger or kaffir lime at them for an extra twist.
Worth a crack I say not quite as tolerant as kviek but they can handle high 20's.
I used Belgian saison strain #1 diastaticus one

Yep, like saisons :p

Nice idea Ward
I'll look into it once the rains are over. Gotta make sure the termites don't get to anything!

Back