WYEAST Packet Smack

Brewer #58898

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble using the WYEAST packets properly. The first time I smacked the packet only one of the two nutrient packets ruptured. The second time I smacked harder and blew a small hole in the edge seam of the outer packet. Any suggestions. Thanks, Hugh

feel for the packet inside put the whole thing in a plastic container then only hit the packet with your hand

Brewer #58898 said:
I'm having trouble using the WYEAST packets properly. The first time I smacked the packet only one of the two nutrient packets ruptured. The second time I smacked harder and blew a small hole in the edge seam of the outer packet. Any suggestions. Thanks, Hugh

I thought there was only one pack to break? Get it in the corner and a firm rap with the heal of your hand does the trick.

Its only there to get the yeast going, you don't absolutely need it, just cut the end pour the yeast out and throw it away

Head First said:
Brewer #58898 said:

I thought there was only one pack to break? Get it in the corner and a firm rap with the heal of your hand does the trick.
Yep, you can really overthink the whole process (from experience) and it's just a matter of getting that packet somewhere close to the edge and where you can readily hit it with your other hand...

I'm right-handed, so I get the packet positioned in the lower left corner while the pouch is lying on the countertop. Then I pick it up and holding the pouch in my left hand, I give it a good whack with the palm of my right hand. Don't think about it, just whack it. Firmly and sharply, but not punching it, as in trying to drive your right hand "through" your left. You just want to smack it firmly, with a good solid smack. It's kinda hard to explain, but that's about it. I usually know I've hit it hard enough when my dogs jump in surprise. :) For me at least, it's one of those things that's harder to do correctly the more I think about it.

Relax, don't worry, ... and smack it good.

1. There's only one packet.
2. The yeast aren't in the packet. If you split the seam of the outer packet, just use the yeast as you would a White Labs vial.
3. Don't hit the damned thing so hard! ;-)

Good luck with the beer!

I don't often use smack packs, but when I do....

Oh never mind that!!

In the couple times that I've used them, I'll feel for the inner pack just to get familiar. It's distinct. I'll force it into the corner and lightly smack it. Then I'll knead the pack, and I can feel the inner pack fade into nothingness. At that point, I'm sure I've got the mix going.

Back