Wyeast 3724

Bad Raccoon Brewing

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello! Fermentation question for the experts:

I'm brewing a saison using Wyeast 3724 (one packet for a 5-gallon batch). The recipe spit out an OG of 1.075 and FG 1.016 for ABV of about 7.74%. In reality, my OG was about 1.070. As many have experienced, this yeast has been slooooooow. I put this batch into the fermentor on 8/24 at about 80°. It started attenuating almost immediately and strongly throughout the night. By the next day, however, the airlock was barely bubbling and continued to barely bubble ever since (I'm posting this on 9/16).

Here's a quick timeline on gravity:

Temperature started at about 80° on 8/24 and climbed to about 86° on 8/25 before gradually falling back to a low of 77° on 9/8:

8/24 OG 1.070
9/2 SG 1.033

At this point I wrapped it in a heater and jacket and raised it to 90° from 9/8 through 9/10, which produced a little more vigorous action in the airlock (but not much) and then raised it to 93°, where it's been ever since:

9/11 SG 1.021
9/16 SG 1.018

Since 9/14 it has been bubbling extremely weakly and appears to be about done. Given the values (OG 1.070 and FG 1.018) ABV would be about 6.83%.

The big question for me is, is this really done? I don't want a partially fermented brew, and I definitely don't want a basement full of bottle bombs. Advice welcomed!

I've used 3726 twice, first time it went from 1.070 to 1.007, second time from 1.061 to 1.009 (attenuations of 90% and 85%). Both times it fermented fast at the beginning and then took a looong time to fully finish. Based on that I would say that yours isn't quite finished yet...

I would have made a starter, one pack for a high(ish) gravity beer is kinda marginal, especially if the pack is not very fresh...

(Edit: got 3726 and 3724 mixed up, thought I had used 3724...)

Last edited:
If memory serves, this yeast is very sensitive to CO2 dissolved in the beer. Maybe swirl the fermenter twice a day and see if that helps.

;)

I'm a big fan of waiting a day or two and checking the gravity again... if it stays the same, you know you're good to go. 1.018 does seem a little too high though.

Hello! Fermentation question for the experts:

I'm brewing a saison using Wyeast 3724 (one packet for a 5-gallon batch). The recipe spit out an OG of 1.075 and FG 1.016 for ABV of about 7.74%. In reality, my OG was about 1.070. As many have experienced, this yeast has been slooooooow. I put this batch into the fermentor on 8/24 at about 80°. It started attenuating almost immediately and strongly throughout the night. By the next day, however, the airlock was barely bubbling and continued to barely bubble ever since (I'm posting this on 9/16).

Here's a quick timeline on gravity:

Temperature started at about 80° on 8/24 and climbed to about 86° on 8/25 before gradually falling back to a low of 77° on 9/8:

8/24 OG 1.070
9/2 SG 1.033

At this point I wrapped it in a heater and jacket and raised it to 90° from 9/8 through 9/10, which produced a little more vigorous action in the airlock (but not much) and then raised it to 93°, where it's been ever since:

9/11 SG 1.021
9/16 SG 1.018

Since 9/14 it has been bubbling extremely weakly and appears to be about done. Given the values (OG 1.070 and FG 1.018) ABV would be about 6.83%.

The big question for me is, is this really done? I don't want a partially fermented brew, and I definitely don't want a basement full of bottle bombs. Advice welcomed!
As Ben would say, let her buck. It should finish much drier than that. And it will take a while to get there.

I didn't use that strain because I read some things where it does like to stall going hot to cooler. Shake it, let it do its thing and see what happens.
When I did my Saison, I used the French strain. That is an absolute beast and fermented down to 1.002 from about 1.054. I started mine at around 68 for about 2 days, slowly increased to 74 (a degree or two each day), and let it sit at 74 from about day 5 until day 14.
Saisons need to sit for a little longer in bottles (if you bottle) or kegs as the flavor will get better after 2 or three weeks.

Assuming activity doesn't start up again (and it's not looking great, I must admit), what do I do? Re-pitch? What strain? Any tips?

As most have said, saison yeasts generally finish very dry regardless and your current gravity sounds high… but what was your mash temp? Your fermentation temps were also really high IMO. I always pitch sub 75° as I swear I read it somewhere never pitch over 80° As you could pasteurize your yeast… but that was close to 30 years ago so…. If in doubt pitch a French saison yeast. That stuff eats everything down to sub 1. I keep Saf-05 packs around just as a backup for typical ales.

Assuming activity doesn't start up again (and it's not looking great, I must admit), what do I do? Re-pitch? What strain? Any tips?
Do you have a refractometer? If so, start taking readings every two or three days, the correction doesn't matter since all you are looking for is a change of gravity. If it is not changing, you may need to repitch. If it is going down very slowly, the yeast is doing what it normally does and you just need to let it buck and maybe, warm it a couple of degrees.

As most have said, saison yeasts generally finish very dry regardless and your current gravity sounds high… but what was your mash temp? Your fermentation temps were also really high IMO. I always pitch sub 75° as I swear I read it somewhere never pitch over 80° As you could pasteurize your yeast… but that was close to 30 years ago so…. If in doubt pitch a French saison yeast. That stuff eats everything down to sub 1. I keep Saf-05 packs around just as a backup for typical ales.
Yeah, I typically ferment somewhere in the low 70s, but this strain apparently likes it super hot...

Do you have a refractometer? If so, start taking readings every two or three days, the correction doesn't matter since all you are looking for is a change of gravity. If it is not changing, you may need to repitch. If it is going down very slowly, the yeast is doing what it normally does and you just need to let it buck and maybe, warm it a couple of degrees.
I'm afraid to warm it up any more; it's been at 93 for about 10 days. I'm thinking I'll just repitch with a different strain at a normal temp (as soon as it cools down again!)

I've only used it the once. Pitched at 21C/70F, let it climb to 26C/80F then let it finish out. I didn't have a stall. I'd heard a bunch of theories of why it stalls. A few sounded plausible and one was easy to do. That was that it wants some oxygen during fermentation. I did an open fermentation (no airlock, just foil over the airlock opening) until it got to 90% of predicted fermentation then put the airlock on. No idea if that made the difference though.

Brief update for all you patient people. In all, this brew spent 52 days in the fermenter, which is crazy-long for me. The gravity eventually got down to about 1.008, which seems to be about the bottom for this one. I primed it with a little honey and bottled it about a week ago. I'll try to update once I taste it in another week or so.

You know, it's funny.... right after we started this conversation, I had the same thing happen to my Belgian patersbier/IPA. It went from 1.033 to a stall at 1.016, not just for a little while, but for a whole MONTH before I finally added Belle Saison (same as 3711), and here's how it looks right now.

That OG of 1.033 reminds me... I need to add some friggin sugar to this batch as well! Maybe if/when/after it stalls again.

1666295702104-png.784236

I know it would be flat, but how did it taste when you bottled it?

I know it would be flat, but how did it taste when you bottled it?
What do you take me for? Of course I tasted it! Pretty good, although I always have trouble telling until it's settled down in the bottle and carbonated a bit. I think it works. I'll definitely update in a week or so.

Back