Wyeast #2633 - Octoberfest Lager Blend

inexile

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just finished a all grain batch of Vienna Lager. Smacked the Wyeast #2633 last night, but hardly any swelling of package. Made a yeast starter first thing this morning which sat for 6 hours before dumping in the fermenter. Still no real sign of any activity. Called Home Brew Supply where I got it and they told me to let them know if nothing visible after 48 hours. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with this yeast?

With this yeast? No. With smack-packs in general? Yes. Generally as they get older, they don't swell as much. Remedy, and something you need to do anyway with this beer, make a starter. Bigger is better.

And if that yeast ain't viable hit them up for some free yeast in exchange for that dud batch.
As Nosey said mix up a big starter and keep some back for future use in a mason jar or something.

It'll work. I betcha! Maybe let it sit at 68-70° or so a day or two. I did that once. Turned out fine.

Check the date on your pack if you still have it, if it's old enough it should be free.

I've only made a couple lagers in my history, and even double pitching it takes a little while for it to get going.

Back