Wyeast 1084 temperature

Nails111

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first ever brew day, with relative success. I did learn that I need to take better notes for all-grain brewing, however. (A lesson learned for next time)

I am using Wyeast 1084 for my fermentation. The package states a temperature range of 65-72. But, the Wyeast website lists a range between 62-72, with anything above 64 producing a more fruity ester profile. Anything below will produce a dry and crisp profile.

Since I am looking for more of a dry and crisp profile, should I go off the package or the Wyeast website for my target temperature? Just curious about the difference.

On a side note, I am learning there is a real and noticeable difference between ambient air temperature and fermenter temperature. This is something I knew already, but didn’t pay much attention to when selecting the location for the fermenter...I went with ambient temp. After seeing the temperature rise to the upper limits, I moved it to a cooler location. Another lesson learned, I guess.

I ferment that strain at 62, as I’m not a fan of strong esters. And I personally have seen a difference of 10 degrees F between ambient and the fermenting beer temperature!

I ferment that strain at 62, as I’m not a fan of strong esters. And I personally have seen a difference of 10 degrees F between ambient and the fermenting beer temperature!
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I don’t have any way to control temp, other than moving the fermenter to my basement. Hopefully, that will cool it enough.

I just finished my first ever brew day, with relative success.
Congratulations!

As for cooling: a regular house or desk fan on low speed, blowing air over your fermenter in the basement, can reduce the internal temperature a couple of degrees. For the energy it uses, it's fairly effective.

Congratulations!

As for cooling: a regular house or desk fan on low speed, blowing air over your fermenter in the basement, can reduce the internal temperature a couple of degrees. For the energy it uses, it's fairly effective.
Thanks for the advice. I put a wet towel around it and have a fan blowing on it right now. So far, the temp has dropped 4 degrees.

That was how I did it until I scored a free beer fridge that is my fermenter now. Also maybe aim for warmer yeasts like Kveik that don't care about your temperature control.

Thanks for the advice. I put a wet towel around it and have a fan blowing on it right now. So far, the temp has dropped 4 degrees.

Sounds like you pretty much have it but, you should google "Swamp Cooler", if you haven't already. Basically your fermenter sits inside a bucket of water (and ice if needed) so your tshirt/towel continuously wicks up the water and the fan constantly evaporates it.

Regarding beer temperature. A couple of years ago I borrowed a co-workers Tilt and compared that to the temperature probe taped to the side of my glass fermenter which was covered by a piece of styrofoam. IIRC, at the height of fermentation activity the tilt read about 3-4 F above what my temp probe was reading. After activity subsided it was about +2 F. I don't remember what the ambient temperature was but, it's in the basement so probably 60F (15C) plus or minus few.

I brewed an Irish Red Ale yesterday using Wyeast 1084. Currently side-of-fermenter temp is 64.6F, which means my wort/beer temperature is probably around 67F (19C). Ambient is 61F.

I've got a large soft insulated cooler to fit my fermenter and frozen 2 liter bottles of water to swap in and out. Haven't used it yet cause everything I've done so far is fine in the upper 60s and low 70s and my basement stays about 66F in the summer and 63 in the winter. My next brew though I'm going to try to ferment between 55 and 60 as a test. I'm leaving myself room for failure on the temp control since WY2112 supposedly maintains lager characteristics up to 65F. I don't know if it's any more effective for the cost than your swamp cooler method but I can let you know how I make out with it

Sounds like you pretty much have it but, you should google "Swamp Cooler", if you haven't already. Basically your fermenter sits inside a bucket of water (and ice if needed) so your tshirt/towel continuously wicks up the water and the fan constantly evaporates it.

Regarding beer temperature. A couple of years ago I borrowed a co-workers Tilt and compared that to the temperature probe taped to the side of my glass fermenter which was covered by a piece of styrofoam. IIRC, at the height of fermentation activity the tilt read about 3-4 F above what my temp probe was reading. After activity subsided it was about +2 F. I don't remember what the ambient temperature was but, it's in the basement so probably 60F (15C) plus or minus few.

I brewed an Irish Red Ale yesterday using Wyeast 1084. Currently side-of-fermenter temp is 64.6F, which means my wort/beer temperature is probably around 67F (19C). Ambient is 61F.
Yeah, I definitely need to look into a better way of controlling temperature. I was surprised on how quickly it warmed up. It caught me off guard. I did make a yeast starter, so maybe that had something to do with it.

For my next batch I was thinking about investing into a Tilt. It will be a lot better than the little temperature sticker that I have now. I’m sure that’s not too accurate.

Yeah, I definitely need to look into a better way of controlling temperature. I was surprised on how quickly it warmed up. It caught me off guard. I did make a yeast starter, so maybe that had something to do with it.

For my next batch I was thinking about investing into a Tilt. It will be a lot better than the little temperature sticker that I have now. I’m sure that’s not too accurate.

I've heard the temperature stickers are pretty accurate. But if you've got money to burn yeah, go for the Tilt, it's really cool. But, you really don't need to spend $140 just to know your fermentation temperature. I use an Inkbird controller (~$30) so I know the approximate fermentation temperature and turn on my chest freezer or heat wrap accordingly if needed.

A Tilt is cool, but can be as inaccurate as any other sensor. Think of it as a way to see relative changes rather than considering the data as absolutely accurate.

Mt Tilt consistently under-reports FG, despite an accurate calibration, due to krausen sludge resting on the Tilt's body. But when it flat-lines, no matter the SG reading, I know fermentation is done.

Screenshot_2021-03-23-09-39-42-427-01.jpeg

I think the Tilt is Great. I will be kegging today. The little bounce at the end is where I gave the fermenter a shake and raised the temp a bit because it seemed to finish a bit high in gravity.

View attachment 14806

I think the Tilt is Great. I will be kegging today. The little bounce at the end is where I gave the fermenter a shake and raised the temp a bit because it seemed to finish a bit high in gravity.
That’s pretty cool. Thanks for posting the graph. I think it would be great for me, so I will stop messing with the fermenter. I am constantly trying to figure out what’s going on inside. This way, I’ll know and stop worrying.

@west1m I'm curious as to the final gravity of the beer, comparing the Tilt to your hydrometer sample.

Sorry I did not take one, straight line, it's done....

Back