Wort chilling and root beer questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Brewer #215577, Jan 24, 2019.

1. airborne spoon

airborne spoon New Member

So I have only brewed one batch of beer and when I was chilling the wort I was stirring the wort with the chiller. Is this an ok thing to do? I mean it went from 212 down to 74 in about 6-7 min.
    Also i am making root beer no alcohol should i still boil it for an hour then chill it or just boil it and then chill to keg it? Also i am doing an extract, but the next time i will make it from scratch with roots and stuff. any advice is appreciated.

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    yes you can stir while chilling and you only boil root beer for a minute to dissolve the sugar and you can chill in the keg it's fine

Head First likes this.
  3. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

You don't need to boil root beer for an hour. Just a few minutes to make sure any microbes are killed off and the water is hot enough to dissolve the sugar and stuff. With actual roots I'd probably boil 10-15 minutes to make sure it's sanitary and the flavor is extracted. Stirring while chilling is good, it won't hurt it and cools it down much faster