Wort chill question

So i had similar problem, seemed to take too long with my immersion cooler. And didn't like how much water I was wasting.
So My solution i just use 2 days ago was to buy this pump https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7..._1?keywords=bayite+pump&qid=1569350275&sr=8-1 and fill my bottling bucket with couple bags of ice and water, and connect to chiller with outlet running to top of bucket. (important to keep at top so water has time to chill before being recirculated)
Was able to to get down to 60F in roughly 30 mins and only used 5 gallons of water plus $3 of ice. ( in future will plan ahead and use my own ice)

That's what do but I toss about 40 pounds of ice that I have been making during the weeks between brewing into my emptied out mash tun with a little water to prime the pump. Ice water out the ball valve into the pump to the coil, hot water back into the tun. Before that I was using a submersible pond pump. And if you do it this way, go with cubes and not huge blocks....more surface area with the cubes. Science, baby....science!

So i had similar problem, seemed to take too long with my immersion cooler. And didn't like how much water I was wasting.
So My solution i just use 2 days ago was to buy this pump https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7..._1?keywords=bayite+pump&qid=1569350275&sr=8-1 and fill my bottling bucket with couple bags of ice and water, and connect to chiller with outlet running to top of bucket. (important to keep at top so water has time to chill before being recirculated)
Was able to to get down to 60F in roughly 30 mins and only used 5 gallons of water plus $3 of ice. ( in future will plan ahead and use my own ice)

That's what do but I toss about 40 pounds of ice that I have been making during the weeks between brewing into my emptied out mash tun with a little water to prime the pump. Ice water out the ball valve into the pump to the coil, hot water back into the tun. Before that I was using a submersible pond pump. And if you do it this way, go with cubes and not huge blocks....more surface area with the cubes. Science, baby....science!

I like Nujackk's set up. I too am concerned about the amount of water wasted. I just ordered that pump.

I use the ice melt water for initial rise water during clean up.!

I like Nujackk's set up. I too am concerned about the amount of water wasted. I just ordered that pump.

I use the ice melt water for initial rise water during clean up.!

Back