worst capper ever?

I have a similar style, but not that exact unit

I put the smaller bell on it. Caps barely fit but maybe they will seal

I use an antique “Everready(?)” capper I got for $4 at a yard sale. Works so good I snagged 2 more on Ebay for spares. I’ve got about $60 in all three.

It's offered on a payment plan! THAT alone ought to raise an eyebrow or two!

I abandoned bottling whe I had 5 20 oz bottles of Stout explode during conditioning. That was followed by my wife stepping on a sliver & trailing bloody foot prints across the floor. She says what can you do to prevent that? I answered "keg not bottles " she says, do it. So, I did & would never go back. I finally developed the Bottle from keg trick for friends.

I abandoned bottling whe I had 5 20 oz bottles of Stout explode during conditioning. That was followed by my wife stepping on a sliver & trailing bloody foot prints across the floor. She says what can you do to prevent that? I answered "keg not bottles " she says, do it. So, I did & would never go back. I finally developed the Bottle from keg trick for friends.
I bottled for 5 years, never had one explode

I bottle any beer that won’t fit in the keg into PET bottles. I have also used cleaned plastic Coke bottles for give-aways. The PET will hold a lot higher pressure than glass. You can also feel the bottle to determine when it is carbonated. 95% of my beer goes into kegs, but the PET bottles are handy to have around.

modified my capper with the bell off the hand capper. seems to work alot better.

20210821_114700.jpg
20210821_114704.jpg

That's a good idea! My bench capper, the Italian brand, does not seem to crimp as well as the wing cappers I have. May be time for some surgery...
was super easy.

the wing capper bell just unscrews.
unscrew the bell out of the bench capper.
then find some washers that wont interfere.
I used a #6 flathead machine screw and some red locktite on the nut. it doesnt have to be super tight, just enough to keep it from falling off

That would indicate your capper was working very well, not that it wasn't. Too much primer?

My worst fiasco with bottling is that I had nearly a whole batch of my favorite sit-on-the-porch-after-a-hot-day-and-cool-down beer wind up mostly flat. No bad taste, and no spoilage at all. VERY strange, but probably 2/3 of the bottles had practically no carbonation at all, and what few did have any barely bubbled when opening. Checked every bottle after I opened a 3rd one with no fizz and nary a mark on the bottle, cap seemed to be fully crimped. I'm thinking I hosed something up when I made the primer, and maybe didn't remember to actually pour it in the bucket. I don't seem to have an extra packet of priming sugar, but I've done silly things before. Even after 3 weeks fermenting at a pretty good clip, then silence, I had a lotta bubble free beer. Not crazy about it, but it still tasted pretty good. Same bottles, three weeks later, with a different recipe in 'em, and bingo, good fizzy stuff. So, no infection, no soap, no weird recipe, just probably an omission on my part.

Funny how wives are in charge of the home brewery. I always thought I was. Why do you need that she asks. To make your stout taste good honey" OK, go ahead and buy it." Why do you have to have two of those? In case I break the other one so I can still make your favorite beer sweetheart. "OK, then get four more..."....At least thats how it is in my house.

@RoadRoach & @jdwebb the 20 Oz bottles were Fischer swing tops, so no capper. The other 20 bottles just blew out the red rubber gaskets until the pressure was low enough to survive.
The Queen is in charge of the finances, fine with me. The leap to kegging was a multi step acquisition of used keg, Regulator & hoses. Maintaining a balance is what it takes to keep the peace.

Back