Working on a Baltic Porter

I definitely used Special B :) did you look at the recipe? I used about 3% because I wasn't sure what to expect. Now I know next time that I can up it a bit without worry!
Be careful with Special B. You can easily go over the cliff with that. You might consider using an English Crystal malt instead of Briess. I find the English crystals give a more rich flavor.

Be careful with Special B. You can easily go over the cliff with that. You might consider using an English Crystal malt instead of Briess. I find the English crystals give a more rich flavor.
This batch was 3% Special B, next time I would increase to 5-6%, so still pretty low. I picked C60 over British caramel malts cuz I like it better :)

I definitely used Special B :) did you look at the recipe? I used about 3% because I wasn't sure what to expect. Now I know next time that I can up it a bit without worry!
Sorry - didn't see the recipe! Special B is a favorite of mine for those dark fruit notes.

Baltic Porter is a bit of a misnomer because it's actually a dark strong lager! Beer history is fun :)
I don't think they'd started using the ale/lager yeast division when this was named. They'd have just been cashing in on the trendy beer style of the era, just like most new styles these days are something IPA.

Wasn't it the English naming it as a porter that was sent to the Baltic region? Like there was an Indian porter and Australian porter. I think the English did this to make it sound exotic when they sold it to the locals.

Then the Baltic countries started brewing it themselves, changed it gradually to what it is today but kept the name. That's my memory or reading bits and pieces, and likely to be missing something.

I don't think they'd started using the ale/lager yeast division when this was named. They'd have just been cashing in on the trendy beer style of the era, just like most new styles these days are something IPA.

Wasn't it the English naming it as a porter that was sent to the Baltic region? Like there was an Indian porter and Australian porter. I think the English did this to make it sound exotic when they sold it to the locals.

Then the Baltic countries started brewing it themselves, changed it gradually to what it is today but kept the name. That's my memory or reading bits and pieces, and likely to be missing something.
That lines up with what I've read

I love adding a pound of smoked malt in a Baltic Porter. I do agree a little heavier on the specialty malts will boost the flavors you are targeting. Chocolate Wheat is a nice dark grain with low astringency, up to 1/2LB is good for color and moderate roast flavor.

Baltic porter.png

Beer is cool because there are so many ways to get a result. I just started playing around on this forum, and the picture of that Porter looked awesome. I have tried lower alcohol versions. One was an American version that came out around 5.4% and the other was a British version that came out around 4.8%.
The American version I did because it was one of my first few all grain recipes, and I wanted to use S-05 and Cascade in order to keep it fairly comparable in developing a style. It was American Pale, Crystal 120, Munich, Chocolate 350, and a little bit of wheat.
The British version used Maris Otter, Fuggle, Irish Ale Yeast, Crystal 120, Chocolate 350, Munich, and a bunch of Flaked Oats. That one turned out to be wonderful even though my flaked oats did not convert very well, and I missed gravity.
I have an ESB idea that I am playing with now, and I might post to ask for suggestions in the next few days.
Again, awesome looking beer:)

Hello all! I would like to brew a Baltic Porter. I've sampled maybe half a dozen different ones trying to research the style and here are some of my goals for this beer:

Clean lager fermentation
7.5-8.5% abv
Strong malty flavors
Present, but not overwhelming, dark fruit/plum/raisin flavors
Dark color without strong roast flavors
Low-medium hop flavor
Balanced bitterness
Full bodied

Here's the recipe I've been working on. I read a few articles and learned that most have 2:1 Munich to Pilsner for base malt, a medium caramel, a dark caramel, and a roast malt. Pitch LOTS of lager yeast for the fermentation (it's a big beer). I chose Styrian Goldings as the flavor hop because it's grown in the Baltic region and the flavor profile seems complementary to the malt profile. I think my FG is a little low for the style, but I don't think I'll actually get 83% attenuation from the 34/70.

Anyway, anyone ever brewed a Baltic Porter before? Any tips or strategies? Any ingredients that you tried and hated? Thanks!!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1249875/kaedweni-stout-ii

Also I know the beer name says stout but I'm still shooting for a Baltic Porter :D if anyone doesn't recognize the name, it's from The Witcher universe concrete sealing minneapolis. I'm creating and brewing recipes of 4 of the fictional beers from The Witcher video games for my Twitch channel
Your Baltic Porter recipe looks well thought out and in line with the style you're aiming for. Baltic Porters are known for their strong malt character, dark fruit flavors, and smooth lager fermentation. Here are a few suggestions and tips to consider:

1. Base Malts: The 2:1 ratio of Munich to Pilsner is a good starting point. Munich malt contributes to the rich maltiness of the beer, while Pilsner malt provides a clean and crisp base. You can consider using a combination of Munich I and Munich II for added complexity.

2. Specialty Malts: For the medium caramel, dark caramel, and roast malt, you can experiment with different specialty malts to achieve the desired flavor and color. Carared or Caramunich can be used for medium caramel, while Carafa Special or Chocolate malt can provide a dark color without overpowering roast flavors.

3. Yeast: Using plenty of lager yeast is essential for a clean fermentation and achieving the desired ABV. 34/70 is a popular choice for Baltic Porters, but you can also consider other lager yeast strains such as WLP830 or WLP833.

4. Fermentation: Since Baltic Porters are higher in alcohol, it's important to ensure proper fermentation conditions. Make sure to pitch an adequate amount of healthy yeast and consider conducting a diacetyl rest to ensure a clean and smooth finish.

5. Hops: Styrian Goldings is a suitable hop choice for adding low-medium hop flavor without overpowering the malt character. Consider adding them towards the end of the boil or as a whirlpool addition for a more subtle hop presence.

6. Final Gravity: You're right that getting 83% attenuation might be challenging with such a big beer. It's always a good idea to monitor the fermentation process and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the beer reaches an appropriate final gravity. You can consider using a yeast nutrient to help the yeast reach their maximum potential.
Overall, your recipe looks promising, and brewing a Baltic Porter can be a fun and rewarding experience. Don't hesitate to make adjustments and tweaks along the way to fine-tune the recipe to your taste preferences. Enjoy the brewing process and the journey of creating a beer inspired by The Witcher universe!

Back