Wonder what this is

AsharaDayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
This might be of interest to (beer) history buffs...
In the final ep of Season 4 of Peaky Blinders, this woman seems to be dringking a really nice red ale. The action takes place after WW1 in Birmingham.
I wonder if they were referencing a specific brand or type of ale. Perhaps it's just a random red drink because the lady's a member of the communist party, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they researched an historical brew.
In any case, it looks very nice.

Attachments

• red-ale.jpg
    red-ale.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 110
Seems to dark for bitter/pale ale. I suspect its mild ale or brown ale. Most beer drunk at the time would have been X (mild) ale or Goverment Ale (weak mild), 50% of brewery output had to be GA during WW1. As for the red colour of that hue, could have been bitter (probably not though) Southern brown ale was very dark and northern brown ale was much lighter, being the midlands it could be bottled brown ale. But i'm sticking my neck out and saying mild ale.

But hay ho, it could be any random modern beer! Don't think any brewery at the time made communist beer.

Haha I don't think they did either. The showrunners might have put a red drink on the table to underline the character's political stance, is what I meant.

Thanks for the info, real interesting.

Back