Winter (Fermenter) Warmer

Bubba Wade

Trial Member
Reaction score
B1D5A8E9-FFB6-4FB7-893D-D5AE832884AE.jpeg
Time to install the heater for the fermenter as cool weather is hitting NW Arkansas. 18 watt seedling mat stuck between the fermenter and the neoprene jacket works great. The garage temperature in the winter can get pretty cold.

032C2856-26F7-4BC4-8AF0-E091F26C37D6.jpeg

As long as that Provides enough heat. I use 100w aquarium heater in the fermenter .

As long as that Provides enough heat. I use 100w aquarium heater in the fermenter .

I ran a calc before I bought the heater. Taking my fermenter, I used the surface area, insulation type, insulation thickness, and assumed temperatures to calculate the heat loss.

For a 35°F temperature differential, the steady state heat loss was about 9 watts. So the 18 watt heater was sufficient. Most of the time the temperature differential is quite a bit less, usually 15 or 20 degrees.

I ran this the last couple of winters with no problems maintaining heat. If you can insulate the vessel fairly well, heating requirements are fairly low.

I ran a calc before I bought the heater. Taking my fermenter, I used the surface area, insulation type, insulation thickness, and assumed temperatures to calculate the heat loss.

For a 35°F temperature differential, the steady state heat loss was about 9 watts. So the 18 watt heater was sufficient. Most of the time the temperature differential is quite a bit less, usually 15 or 20 degrees.

I ran this the last couple of winters with no problems maintaining heat. If you can insulate the vessel fairly well, heating requirements are fairly low.
More work than I put into it lol. I just bought 100W heater and called it good. The controller does the rest

Fwiw, I use a 50 W (max) heating pad, the kind for a bad back, and I have never needed it on more than 'low'.

Back