Will it Carb up in time?

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've never "burst" carb'ed a keg before, always going with the rock-solid ≈12 psi for a week method. But I'm in need for a finished keg by tomorrow night. So last night I started this 48 hour procedure:

2.5 gallon keg.
Pressure set to 25psi for 42 hours.
Occasional rocking and shaking of keg.
Pressure will be dropped to 12 psi. for 6 hours prior to tapping.

Will it be ready to drink? I'm skeptical.

It's a Stout, if that matters.

If it’s cold, yes. I burst by shaking the keg filled with cold beer for 5 minutes with 25 PSI of co2. Wait an hour or two, taste and adjust as necessary. Be careful not over carb’ the beer. If it’s too low in carbonation, shake at 25 psi for a minute or so, let it settle for an hour and taste again. If it over carb’d, release most of the pressure from the keg and let it set for a while.

If it’s cold, yes. I burst by shaking the keg filled with cold beer for 5 minutes with 25 PSI of co2. Wait an hour or two, taste and adjust as necessary. Be careful not over carb’ the beer. If it’s too low in carbonation, shake at 25 psi for a minute or so, let it settle for an hour and taste again. If it over carb’d, release most of the pressure from the keg and let it set for a while.
You give me hope. :)

Yes it's cold. Maybe I'll tap it tonight (24hours @25psi) to see where I'm at. Thanks.

24 hours at 40 psi is also a thing. You can reduce to serving pressure a minute before serving, no need to wait hours.

First pour, at about 26 hours at 25psi. Let’s go!
:)

76DD0953-3F99-4F23-BB5E-B96985E2CB16.jpeg

Back