Wild yeast or infection?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My wort had been sitting overnight in the kettle to get down to temp which I do with all my brews ( no chill ). Today when I opened it I noticed a krausen? It was an usually high aggressive boil to start and thought maybe just proteins. Added it to the fermenter @32 degrees, added Kveik, then added airlock, took it to the garage. Walked past it 2 minutes later and the airlock is going nuts!

I guess I’ll just just ride it out to see what happens but my question is whether it’s wild yeast or bacteria and how do you tell?

@Trialben jump in mate,

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 27
It is very likely fine, but you'll find out when it is finished - if it is bad, you'll know. It smells awful.

Hi guys,
My wort had been sitting overnight in the kettle to get down to temp which I do with all my brews ( no chill ). Today when I opened it I noticed a krausen? It was an usually high aggressive boil to start and thought maybe just proteins. Added it to the fermenter @32 degrees, added Kveik, then added airlock, took it to the garage. Walked past it 2 minutes later and the airlock is going nuts!

I guess I’ll just just ride it out to see what happens but my question is whether it’s wild yeast or bacteria and how do you tell?

@Trialben jump in mate,
That's kviek there mate two minutes and she's going Nuts good work!
You mighta set a new Guinness World record for quickest start to fermentation lol!

Not sure on the krausen thing as Don said it it smells like vomit you did bad if it smells like heavenly beerery goodness you done Good ;)

Hopefully all good…
I’ve never seen the froth on top the next day after chilling, so thought it was a bit strange and it did have a strange smell but so does my back yard from all the rain so that could be it..when I sniff the airlock it smells like a hoppy/ happy fermentation . Just thought it was way too quick to start fermenting. Also first time using mangrove jacks Kveik m12. See how we look in a week…
Thanks guys

Krausen in the kettle the next morning is a bit concerning.
Kveik gets going pretty quick, but 2 minutes is a lot quicker than I have ever seen, even with liquid Kveik.
Was the kettle left uncovered overnight?
Was it in the house, garage, outdoors?
Sounds more like you might have a wild yeast going in there to me.
I once left a gravity sample out overnight, it had krausen the next morning.

will be interesting To see where this goes. Something Spontaneous happened here

Hopefully all good…
I’ve never seen the froth on top the next day after chilling, so thought it was a bit strange and it did have a strange smell but so does my back yard from all the rain so that could be it..when I sniff the airlock it smells like a hoppy/ happy fermentation . Just thought it was way too quick to start fermenting. Also first time using mangrove jacks Kveik m12. See how we look in a week…
Thanks guys
Well, wild yeast isn't usually faster than kviek. Ben did some experiments with wild yeasts. I still think it'll be fine.

Hopefully all good…
Thanks guys
Anecdotally, I have seen spontaneous fermentation in wort left overnight in my hydrometer sample tube. That wort in the sample tube had a quarter inch of Krausen the next morning, and the resulting beer turned out just fine. I hope your beer comes out fine.

Anecdotally, I have seen spontaneous fermentation in wort left overnight in my hydrometer sample tube. That wort in the sample tube had a quarter inch of Krausen the next morning, and the resulting beer turned out just fine. I hope your beer comes out fine.
Same

Well, wild yeast isn't usually faster than kviek. Ben did some experiments with wild yeasts. I still think it'll be fine.
It did have overnight to get started, hopefully it works out okay

Krausen in the kettle the next morning is a bit concerning.
Kveik gets going pretty quick, but 2 minutes is a lot quicker than I have ever seen, even with liquid Kveik.
Was the kettle left uncovered overnight?
Was it in the house, garage, outdoors?
Sounds more like you might have a wild yeast going in there to me.
I once left a gravity sample out overnight, it had krausen the next morning.
It was left outside and it wasn’t completely sealed because I had a hop bag tied up to the handle. It did also smell a bit wrong but my back yard stinks from all the rain so wasn’t sure. I’d also used a different grain bill to what I’m used too. Could be interesting…oh well always learning something new

Pity you didn't flick a pick of the No chill Krausen the next day.

I put alfoil on top then put lid on this gives it a pretty good seal even with hop bag suspended and clipped to edge.

Clingwrap is another option....

I'm clingwrapping for no chill
Generally the kettle and myself as me and clingwrap don't really get on, but I feel it makes a better seal than alu foil.
Although I haven't tried alu foil under the lid.
Let's hope it works out OK

Update….got home today and it smells like someone took a sour dump in my fermenter! Think I’m in trouble here, I’ll ride it out and see what happens. I’ll be making sure the kettle is airtight from now on
That does not sound good :(

Outside & unsealed overnight after a heavy rain with odd smelling things around? Yikes!

Update….got home today and it smells like someone took a sour dump in my fermenter! Think I’m in trouble here, I’ll ride it out and see what happens. I’ll be making sure the kettle is airtight from now on
Ah, well, we live and we learn. With a foul
Odor, it is likely infected with something you do not want. After you empty that vessel, scrub it very well and take care to sanitize it well too. A mild bleach solution, or some iodophor (iodine-based solution) would be a good idea.

Ah, well, we live and we learn. With a foul
Odor, it is likely infected with something you do not want. After you empty that vessel, scrub it very well and take care to sanitize it well too. A mild bleach solution, or some iodophor (iodine-based solution) would be a good idea.
Did he mention if it was stainless or not? shouldn't use bleach if it is

Back