Wild Hops!?

I condition at room temp for 4-6 weeks, then put bottles in the fridge. Bottled home brew ways seems to taste better after being chilled for awhile. More of the gunk settles out. I have seen this happen at room temperature over a very long time - all on its own. I would not put in the fridge right away, because you do want the residual yeast to ferment the priming sugar.

LarryBrewer said:
I would not put in the fridge right away, because you do want the residual yeast to ferment the priming sugar.
Good point.

About the only way you can tell what they're doing to your beer is to make a single-hop batch, preferably something very neutral like a blonde ale, and see what comes out. You can do a small batch - 2.5 gal - if you don't want to risk a whole brew on them. As to the tannins, were there seeds? If there's a male plant around, you could have gotten pollination and some seed in the cones.

Nosybear said:
As to the tannins, were there seeds? If there's a male plant around, you could have gotten pollination and some seed in the cones.
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! I never thought about that, but yes, there were definitely seeds.

Cool thread? What happened????

That being said, anyone here growing their own hops?

Got the front of the shed packed with 4 varieties, plus 5 other vines out front. The brews are turning out pretty good. Wish I knew the AA, but not willing to send off to a lab.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Enjoy!

Larry

How invasive are they? It appears that they are not hard to grow. But I don't want them taking over the yard either

The want to spread out, but I can't complain. If they do pop up in the lawn I don't notice because the just get mowed down. My lawn is mostly moss and dandelions....

In days of old, dandelion was supposedly an ingredient in brews. The fact there are no modern beers that use it tell you something. I'm not curious enough to try it, even on a bet.

Ahh, beer disposal events, proof that there's no bad beer, only better ones.

Back