Why not add o2 for stuck fermentation

Dogwood

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Im fermenting a 15 gal strong ale with ginsing extract in it. I did a starter 2 hours before in went into the fermenter with 4 packs of safeale 05 and one packet windsor yeast, was very quick to become active. started the brew 8-25 and very fast fermentation for the first 4 days. OG at 1.070 and has been is at 1.034 the last 2 days with no bubbling the last day. I took some wert and added some yeast safale05, and its fermenting in the sample. I did o2 the wert with a full hardware store o2 bottle though a diffusion stone. I also added yeast nutrient in the boil at 15 mins from end. I checked several threads on stuck fermentation and it was commonly said to add no more o2. Question is why? O2 is so important to start a healthy fermentation, why not add for a stuck fermentation? .First batch in a new Spike brewing half barrel conical fermenter, Thanks much, Im a newbe here and my first post!

In reading a few posts here, I read of pumping boiling wert into the fermenter. After thinking about it, makes perfect sense to me and I did it and cooled the wert with well water flowing through the internal coil. I put a solinoid on the line and hooked it to a temp controller. Worked AMAZING and kept the wert at a perfect temp for the fermentation!! Thanks for the heads up on that one!

The reason not to oxygenate is that it may not be stuck, it may just be done and then you've oxidised your beer. The other idea is probably that if you pitched enough yeast you'd have gone through the reproduction phase, so more O2 isn't needed as you should have enough yeast to finish the job. That second idea has a few holes in it for me.

But if you've got a sample that has started fermenting it doesn't seem like those apply. I'd still try some other basic steps first to see if you can wake it up. Raise the temp, swirl the yeast up, etc. Then try getting a few gallons from your batch, oxygenate that and get it going then add that back in to see if it can finish things up.

Back