Who likes Saisons?

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, although I've been a member & lurker for a couple of years. I've been homebrewing out here in Oregon for about 20 years, trying almost every style, but only recently discovered Saisons after tasting a Red Barn ale in Calistoga CA. Wow! Definitely my new favorite beer.

I've brewed 3 now, and I'm really attracted to the simplicity of the recipes and the impact the yeast has on the flavor of the beer. 12 lbs. Euro Pilsner, a little dose of noble hops, a Saison yeast, high fermentations temps and "Bob's your uncle". Unlike any other beer I've brewed.

I'd be interested to hear about any dry hopping or other ingredients you all are using too.

even though your not new I feel I should say welcome to the site

I like em but am not that great at.brewing em according to my recent brew comp entrys lol:p.

Im going to follow the advice and get a liquid yeast strain for this...

But yes an easy drinking beer and nice and crisp lovely summer beer.

Welcome brewfriend.

I've use rye and coriander seeds then dry hopped with galaxy is about as adventurous as i've gotten with the style .
Patience is required as they can munch down to crazy low gravity

Yes, these strains are munchie. I used WLP590 French Saison fermented at 80˚ on a heat pad. Went from 1060 to 1004 very quickly.

I'm wondering how orange or lemon peel would work in these?

I just tossed a slice of lemon in my glass of Saison, ala Widmer Hefe. Very nice; probably won't add any to the secondary ferment since this works nicely.

Hello! I really like them.

The first saison I brewed was Brooklyn Brew Shop's Jalapeño Saison. I liked it so much I brewed it twice more, but the 3rd time I substituted roasted peaches for the Jalapeño. It came out pretty well. One of my favorite commercial Saisons is Mammoth Brewing Company's Wild Sierra.

Back