White Stout

I like the idea behind it, since it kind of tricks people into drinking something they probably wouldn't otherwise

I've had one and it was really good. I can't get the guy to cough up the recipe, though! I looked at your recipe - that's a hell of a lot of chalk! Even if you can get it to dissolve, it's going to kick the pH of your mash up a lot, hence the high amount of lactic acid I see, I guess. Consider eliminating the chalk - no one needs carbonates and you'll get enough calcium from the other salts - and adjust the pH with the acid. A brew that pale and with that much adjunct needs acidity, not alkalinity, to mash well.

I've had one and it was really good. I can't get the guy to cough up the recipe, though! I looked at your recipe - that's a hell of a lot of chalk! Even if you can get it to dissolve, it's going to kick the pH of your mash up a lot, hence the high amount of lactic acid I see, I guess. Consider eliminating the chalk - no one needs carbonates and you'll get enough calcium from the other salts - and adjust the pH with the acid. A brew that pale and with that much adjunct needs acidity, not alkalinity, to mash well.
I've updated it. How does it look?

Did the adjustment get your mash pH to 5.4? If so, good. You can always add the salts later for flavor.

So I've had four or five so far and they all definitely fall into the interesting rather than enjoyable basket. The one I enojyed the most used some sort of clear coffee liquid from a slow drip/distillation type of set up. They tend to be overly sweet for me and I enjoy a sweet stout far more than a dry one. So personally I'd go for the higher attenuation.

Good point. That's my main concern with this beer. Of the few I've had most were sweet or flavored with something sweet, and that's not what I'm going for. Do you have any idea what the clear coffee liquid was?

It was the local hipster coffee shop. No real idea what he was doing, but there was a mildly complicated set of tubes with a few different collection points. I really only saw the cold brew part of it working, but the owner was talking about a clear liquid he was pulling off at a different point. It's not appeared in his shop, so guess it wasn't that attractive. Searching to see if anyone else doing something similar I didn't see anything that seemed like his process.

If I see him about I'll see if I can get some more info.

I ran into a white stout recipe yesterday in Craft Beer and Brewing magazine - I'll see if I can get it transcribed and posted.

I ran into a white stout recipe yesterday in Craft Beer and Brewing magazine - I'll see if I can get it transcribed and posted.
I saw the article "Considering the White Stout". I am conflicted about using vanilla in this recipe.

Edit: Also considering switching the 2-row for Maris Otter, but I'm not certain it'll make much of a difference with Vienna already in the bill.

It was the local hipster coffee shop. No real idea what he was doing, but there was a mildly complicated set of tubes with a few different collection points. I really only saw the cold brew part of it working, but the owner was talking about a clear liquid he was pulling off at a different point. It's not appeared in his shop, so guess it wasn't that attractive. Searching to see if anyone else doing something similar I didn't see anything that seemed like his process.

If I see him about I'll see if I can get some more info.
I'm wondering if it was a rotary evaporator o_O

It was definitely home made, but does look like it may have performed the same function. No coil for the cooling, just one tube with a branch for 2 - 3 condensation points and a final bowl.

Caught up with the coffee nerd. It was a simple distillation process with very low heat. He thought the first third of the clear liquid he grabbed wasn't great, the second was workable and the third was disgusting. For the effort and flavour it wasn't something he was looking to do again. Probably why it ended up in beer.

Back