White Labs Yeast - vial fun

TheZel66

Trial Member
Reaction score
Folks, I've been using White Labs yeast that come in vials for a while now, and here's a problem I seem to have with them in various degrees. The yeast in the vial most of the time is stuck to the vial, so to loosen everything up in there, I shake the vial so it will all go into the fermenter. Problem comes about when i open the vial, the yeast sprays out (kinda like a shaken soda can), and I end up losing some yeast on me, the floor, the outside of my fermenter. Some times alot, some times a little, but something I'd like to stop altogether.

Any tips on how to better get the stuff out of the vial without the mess?

I've had the same problem.

I make sure to take the yeast out of the fridge a few hours before it is needed so it gradually warms up to room temp. I shake it up about 30 minutes before pitching time, then again right before I pitch. I very carefully open the cap to let the pressure bleed out.

It is an easy thing to forget about. Even easier to forget to shake the Wyeast smack packs since you can't see inside them. The yeast tends to stick to the inside of the package with Wyeast too.

LarryBrewer said:
II make sure to take the yeast out of the fridge a few hours before it is needed so it gradually warms up to room temp. I shake it up about 30 minutes before pitching time, then again right before I pitch. I very carefully open the cap to let the pressure bleed out.
+1
I use White Labs yeast and have had the above mentioned "explosion" once or twice myself. :oops:
The trick is definitely to warm up the yeast well ahead of time. The worst spray I have experienced so far was when I tried to warm up a cold vial quickly in a bath of hot water.... :roll:

You should all be scolded for not making starters ahead of time! :p Then you wouldn't be worried about a few million cells.
I toss my vial into the star san bucket which is room temp and always close enough to my pitching temp.
When my starter is ready, I give the vial a good shake and when I start to open it, I hold it over the Erlenmeyer flask opening and let the drips fall into the flask. I'll then pour a little of the wort back into the vial to rinse it out.
Works great.
Hope this helps.
Brian

To be fair...white labs only recommends starters for ales with O.G.'s above 1.060 and lagers.
(An og below 1.060.... :lol:)

Scrumpy said:
To be fair...white labs only recommends starters for ales with O.G.'s above 1.060 and lagers.
(An og below 1.060.... :lol:)

True, however independent research shows yeast manufacturers are selling home brewers just barely enough yeast to get by compared to pro pitching rates. We covered this pretty extensively in our yeast pitching calculator documentation and the related blog post:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/11/07 ... explained/
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

Yes, here's to making starters and taking your beer to the next level.

The Pitching rate calculator will show how quickly you lose viability.
I had a talk with Chris White a couple of years ago, discussing his claim that you can directly pitch into a 1.060 SG wort. He sold me on it then, but looking at loss in viability over time and also a lot of personal brewing, I find that making a starter is almost always beneficial.
The calculator Larry has here is an invaluable tool. Use it!
Here's to Better Brewing! :D
Brian

I'm right there with you Larry. I would rather error on the side of overpitch than under. I was just being snarky...as usual.
The source I consider gospel, says any thing over 1.048, make a starter, and I believe that whole heartedly.
I will definitely check out the link you just posted. I keep discovering more and more tools on this site which seem to be more user friendly than the next.

How about cracking open the vial when it is settled and calm to let off pressure. Then any fluid escaping would be mostly water. Then close it up for the shake.

I'm with chessking. My process is to take the vial out of the fridge, sanitize the outside quickly just in case and then crack it open just enough to release the seal. Then I prop it up in a cup and cover with foil while it warms up to room temperature. Of course this process came about after learning the hard way like most everyone else. It is an extra step to remember but luckily it is one of the steps included in a brew session.

How about this one? Hold it over the fermenter, crack it and let it spew. That way most of the stuff spewing out will end up in the fermenter anyway and the few cells that end up on your work surface don't matter. Alternatively, sanitize a small household funnel, put it in the fermenter, DON'T shake, just uncap the vial, put it in the funnel and let the slurry just kind of ooze out.... That's the procedure I use when making starters.

First time I used the vial type I noted that there was significant settling. The day prior to brewing I shook the hell out of it and put it back in the fridge upside down and that worked.

I had the same problem too.
I now store the vial upside down, lid on bottom.
Remove from fridge 3 hrs prior to adding to the starter.
I have my funnel in place, open vial over it , hey presto! :ugeek:

Back