White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001

TheZel66

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've used this yeast now a few times, and each time I do, I find the attenuation is over 80%. My last batch with this yeast hit at almost 87% attenuation. Is that possible with this yeast?

TheZel66 said:
I've used this yeast now a few times, and each time I do, I find the attenuation is over 80%. My last batch with this yeast hit at almost 87% attenuation. Is that possible with this yeast?

The attenuation numbers published by the yeast companies are only good for comparison between yeast and have little value in predicting your actual attenuation. I suggest you keep track of past batches and use the custom attenuation feature instead of the attenuation from the yeast. That's what I do.

Kai

I use WLP007, which is also listed by White Labs with an attenuation up to 80%, and have been getting over 80% with somewhat higher gravity beers (>7% ABV) and over 85% with somewhat lower gravity beers (<6% ABV).
So, yes, I would assume it is also possible with WLP001. :)

I just didn't know if I had to worry about wild yeast getting in the mix... I did brew pitch the yeast outside, but it was around 32F when I did, so I doubt much was in the air. My mash spent a good bit of time in the mid-upper 140F's, so maybe that alpha amalyze did some crazy simple sugar converting.

TheZel66 said:
I just didn't know if I had to worry about wild yeast getting in the mix... I did brew pitch the yeast outside, but it was around 32F when I did, so I doubt much was in the air. My mash spent a good bit of time in the mid-upper 140F's, so maybe that alpha amalyze did some crazy simple sugar converting.

You'll notice it in the taste if there is wild yeast in the beer.

I'm currently brewing a DIPA with WLP001 and I'm shooting for 90% attenuation. But that's with enzymatic extract in the fermenter. I.e. dextrin breakdown is continuing while the beer is fermenting.

Kai

Back