White Labs 575

Bubbles

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm considering using WLP 575 (Belgian Ale Blend) to brew some Belgian Ales, but have not been able to find much information on that particular yeast. The White Lab website gives the impression that it's a good yeast because it takes some of the issues of fermentation out of the equation and allows someone like me who has minimal fermentation temperature control to make good tasting Belgian Ales. I ferment in my basement and the temperature there is around 62F during the winter (now). I can pitch at 67F or so and keep my carboy insulated with layers of towels, old parkas, etc. and that seems to work in terms of keeping a higher temp until the yeast supplies some of their own heat, but it's obviously not well regulated.

My plan is to start with a lower OG beer like a Patersbier, then use the resulting yeast cake to make a Blond and Dubbel (use about half of the yeast for each), then go on to use those yeast cakes for a Tripel and Dark Strong. I'm only about 9 batches into brewing Belgian Ales and have gone from extract to partial mash and will begin all grain when I use the 575. By brewing multiple batches using a single yeast (or in the case of the 575, a blend), I'm hoping to better understand what yeast works well for what style for my taste (my friends will have to take it or leave it -- I'm brewing for what I like, style guides be damned.)

So, if anyone has used the WLP575, I'd appreciate any advise you can give me. Also, after the three or so generations I intend to use it for, can I expect any one of the blend of yeast to predominate due to the fermentation temp and/or OG?

Thanks

Back