White House honey porter

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
Used recipe here today. Extract cuz it's so damn cold ( see other post)

The recipe calls for 2 cans extract and 1 LB honey.

I did 1 can at 185f and a late addition At 30 mins, along with honey.

Expected OG = 1.052.
I got 1.070! Talk about government overreach!!!

Any ideas?

Honey can be highly variable.... But I do have to point out (at the risk of sounding too political), the economy has historically provided better returns under Democratic administrations.... :lol:

Enjoy the bounty!

I was going to say this is the first time I've heard of the government under-promising and over performing! :shock:

I didn't know honey was variable. How would you predict it's contribution? Would you have to dissolve some known amount and measure it's gravity? (Said the guy whose planning to do a honey wheat in the near future.)

That's what I'd do, if I were really concerned about the gravity contribution. Dissolve a pound of it in a gallon of water and take a gravity reading. The numerical remainder ((gravity - 1)*1000) is the ppg contribution of that particular sample. Honey, being a natural product (if you use the good stuff, that is), is variable because, mostly, of water content. Some is thicker than other. It shouldn't count for the amount of variance reported in the original post, I'd suspect more evaporation than expected as the simplest and most logical explanation. Just yesterday I did a Classic American Lager, expected OG 1.058, came out 1.065 due to higher than expected evaporation. When you get higher than expected gravity, dilute the wort with water (very clean water, boiled and cooled if possible) and go on.

Ive watched the video from the white house kitchen and they use fresh honey from the bees on the white house property, so Id say its pure lol

oh and by the way for those of you who don't know, honey added to beer will not taste like honey when done, its highly ferment-able

Back