Whirlpool Utilization advice

seanwheldon

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Based on my technique, what would you suggest my hop utilization on whirlpool additions should be? I currently set it at 6% but have a few beers coming up that are hop monsters and don't want too many IBUs.

I run an 8 bbl

Most beers are Whirlpool-only additions with a fwh. At knockout i begin re-circ/cooldown to get the beer from 100 to 85.

At 90 degrees c i will toss in all hops and carry on cooling until 85.

Whirlpool at 85 for 30 mins, only dropping a couple of degrees at most.

Rest for 5 minutes.

Begin transfer to fv via PHE.

Like i said, my current utilization is set to 6% based on estimates. Brewer's friend doesn't really help in terms of time/temp/hops. I suppose this is due to the fact non-boil additions are so hard to figure.

Thanks
Sean

that sounds about right also ibu's are relative to the taster and not a constant fact so you can have a heavily hopped beer with lots of sediment and it will taste less bitter than a clear one aged, its really a debatable subject

by the way I've been adding hop additions the same way with great results forward and whirlpool only, makes an easier boil too

Im drinking my first few samples of an Fwh and just hop stand beer i used equinox galaxy and Nelson sauvin. Galaxy fwh the rest hopstand 80c for 20 min.

Bitterness is deffinetly there not overly bitter it tastes around 35 ibu to me off the top of my head recipe said 45 ibu with .5% utilization in the whirlpool/hop stand.

Dont know if that helps @seanwheldon but bitterness is smooth across the toungue not clawing at the back of the throat. Ill be Fwhing and whirlpooling my ales more often;)

Attachments

• 20170702_161246.jpg
    20170702_161246.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 130

Back