Which hops

hbt2

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently got some various hops and was hoping to get some input on what combination would work well in an IPA I plan to brew. The hops I have are:
Sabro
Belma
Chinook
Ahtanum
Azacca
Comet
Idaho 7
Warrior
Ekuanot
Wakatu

Thanks for any input on a combination of these that would work together.

You got a fair selection there mate. Honestly most of them I've never used. Look up the specks on them to get an understanding of what flavours aromas their gunna bring to the table.
Azzaca is another fruity hop you could use in that combo.

You got a fair selection there mate. Honestly most of them I've never used. Look up the specks on them to get an understanding of what flavours aromas their gunna bring to the table.
Azzaca is another fruity hop you could use in that combo.
yeah, I bought some brew equipment from a guy that was getting out of brewing and he gave me the hops for free, which was cool. I looked into the hops a little but so many variables to consider. I'll have to do more study on hop combinations. Thanks for the help!

Hops are the great mystery, at least to me. I absolutely trust @Trialben’s recommendation, but I hope he will elaborate. When were the additions made and how much of each hops were added? I’ve had nothing but disappointment with Sabro, but I’m sure it was my fault, not the hops.

Following.

Idaho 7 does well near the start or end of a boil. Azacca should mostly be used as a whirlpool/hop stand or dry hop addition. Chinook can be overpowering citrus/pine, but still great for a West Coast IPA. I like Comet; it's supposed to be "dank" but I get some apple/pear/berry from it as well. Belma is supposedly got some strawberry to it. I've only had one beer with Belma and didn't get the strawberry :) Warrior is best for bittering. Sabro has some coconut to it, I had a good SMaSH with it once upon a time. The other hops I've never used/drank.

Guess it depends what kind of IPA you're going for :D

Hops are the great mystery, at least to me. I absolutely trust @Trialben’s recommendation, but I hope he will elaborate. When were the additions made and how much of each hops were added? I’ve had nothing but disappointment with Sabro, but I’m sure it was my fault, not the hops.

Following.
Honestly i havnt used Sabro. Equinox I have or that was its "former name.
I did a three E's hoppy beer
Equinox - Enigma - Eldorado
It was a toungue tickler.
My notes I did a run of 4 on this all hops differing including using passionfruit in the beer so I think this notes are for them hops
Screenshot_20220310-123135_Samsung Internet.jpg

Different hops, in different amounts, at different times, bring different things to the party.
Timing
Early boil hops will give you mostly bitterness, and subtle amount of flavor and aroma, typically lesser amounts are needed.
Middle of the boil hops will bring a bit of each, to a point larger amounts bring more of each.
Late boil hops will bring mostly flavor, some aroma, and a bit of bitterness, again to a point more hops bring more of each
Hops added as a hop stand or whirlpool (after the boil ends) will bring a lot of flavor and aroma, and a subtle amount of bitterness, the amount of bitterness is dependent on the hop stand temperature. Hotter will be more bitter, and again more = more...
Then there are dry hop additions, added to the fermenter. These additions bring mostly aroma, some flavor, and virtually no bitterness.
Amount of Hops
This is very dependent on what you are brewing, there is no magic pill here.
Hop Variety
As @Sunfire96 notes Warrior is best used as a bittering hop, Magnum is my go to for bittering for an IPA.
Chinook is a classic for a west coast IPA.
I have used Idaho 7 in an IPA and loved it, I think it would work really well in a NEIA as well.
Azzaca, at least for me is best suited for a NEIPA.
I haven't used any of the other hops listed there.
It is amazing what different hops can bring to a beer when added at the appropriate time.
Not to say don't ask here and just to google it, but google is a good resource for getting quick info on a particular hop.

If you are a new brewer, my recommendation would be to go with a published, or tried and true recipe. If you are then looking at substituting hop varieties from what you have just google and compare.

Of course, we are here to help with that if you like, feel free to post your questions, we all love talking about beer and brewing.

Good luck!

upload_2022-3-10_7-7-50.png

upload_2022-3-10_7-8-58.png

upload_2022-3-10_7-19-44.png

Idaho 7 does well near the start or end of a boil. Azacca should mostly be used as a whirlpool/hop stand or dry hop addition. Chinook can be overpowering citrus/pine, but still great for a West Coast IPA. I like Comet; it's supposed to be "dank" but I get some apple/pear/berry from it as well. Belma is supposedly got some strawberry to it. I've only had one beer with Belma and didn't get the strawberry :) Warrior is best for bittering. Sabro has some coconut to it, I had a good SMaSH with it once upon a time. The other hops I've never used/drank.

Guess it depends what kind of IPA you're going for :D
Thanks!

Different hops, in different amounts, at different times, bring different things to the party.
Timing
Early boil hops will give you mostly bitterness, and subtle amount of flavor and aroma, typically lesser amounts are needed.
Middle of the boil hops will bring a bit of each, to a point larger amounts bring more of each.
Late boil hops will bring mostly flavor, some aroma, and a bit of bitterness, again to a point more hops bring more of each
Hops added as a hop stand or whirlpool (after the boil ends) will bring a lot of flavor and aroma, and a subtle amount of bitterness, the amount of bitterness is dependent on the hop stand temperature. Hotter will be more bitter, and again more = more...
Then there are dry hop additions, added to the fermenter. These additions bring mostly aroma, some flavor, and virtually no bitterness.
Amount of Hops
This is very dependent on what you are brewing, there is no magic pill here.
Hop Variety
As @Sunfire96 notes Warrior is best used as a bittering hop, Magnum is my go to for bittering for an IPA.
Chinook is a classic for a west coast IPA.
I have used Idaho 7 in an IPA and loved it, I think it would work really well in a NEIA as well.
Azzaca, at least for me is best suited for a NEIPA.
I haven't used any of the other hops listed there.
It is amazing what different hops can bring to a beer when added at the appropriate time.
Not to say don't ask here and just to google it, but google is a good resource for getting quick info on a particular hop.

If you are a new brewer, my recommendation would be to go with a published, or tried and true recipe. If you are then looking at substituting hop varieties from what you have just google and compare.

Of course, we are here to help with that if you like, feel free to post your questions, we all love talking about beer and brewing.

Good luck!

View attachment 19723
View attachment 19724
View attachment 19725
Thanks!

When I got the hops I also got 2 dry yeast packets so I wanted to use these to brew two beers. The first yeast is Verdant IPA and the grain build I plan to use is:
6 lb Maris Otter
2 lb Vienna
2 lb Flaked Oats
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 lb Carapils
I'll use everyone's input and research more on the hops I have to come up with what I'll use. Thanks again for the help.

I find the Sensory Analysis graphs very useful. They are available on most hop producers websites. The following is from Yakima Chief Hops for the Azacca hop.
upload_2022-3-10_12-55-59.png

When I got the hops I also got 2 dry yeast packets so I wanted to use these to brew two beers. The first yeast is Verdant IPA and the grain build I plan to use is:
6 lb Maris Otter
2 lb Vienna
2 lb Flaked Oats
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 lb Carapils
I'll use everyone's input and research more on the hops I have to come up with what I'll use. Thanks again for the help.
I have used Verdant many times. It's a good yeast for an IPA and it is a top cropping yeast so you can easily harvest it for re-use.

Hi, I recently got some various hops and was hoping to get some input on what combination would work well in an IPA I plan to brew. The hops I have are:
Sabro
Belma
Chinook
Ahtanum
Azacca
Comet
Idaho 7
Warrior
Ekuanot
Wakatu

Thanks for any input on a combination of these that would work together.
The Azzaca, Idaho and Ekuanot would be great. Use the recipe builder to keep you IBU’s in range. They are all high AA’s.

Back