Which Hops to grow?i

PinX

Trial Member
Reaction score
Dear Community,

any experienced craft beer growers that can give me advice on which Hops to plant at home.

I love ALEs, Hefeweizen, golden Ale, IPAs & APAs(lower than 80 IBUs) and was thinking of planting some Hops on my Garden and maybe some doy be able to brew with freshly harvested hops.

Therefore I would like to combine them accordingly, but besides the most common ones, there are lot of other hops that I just Can´t figure everything out by myself & would highly appreciate some help.

amarillo
ariana
bavarian mandarin
blanc
bramling cross
callista
cascade
centennial
challenger
chinook
hersbrucker
kent golding
melon hull
merkur
mount hood
northern brewer
saaz
santiam
spalt select
strisselspalt
tettnanger
tradition
wakatu
willamette

From this Hop list I was about to chose 5 or 6 strains: Saaz, Tettnager, Hersbrucker, Cascade, Centennial & Amarillo.

Feel free to share your thoughts/insight with me, still have 1 month to close the order.

Thanks in advance

Dear Community,

any experienced craft beer growers that can give me advice on which Hops to plant at home.

I love ALEs, Hefeweizen, golden Ale, IPAs & APAs(lower than 80 IBUs) and was thinking of planting some Hops on my Garden and maybe some doy be able to brew with freshly harvested hops.

Therefore I would like to combine them accordingly, but besides the most common ones, there are lot of other hops that I just Can´t figure everything out by myself & would highly appreciate some help.

amarillo
ariana
bavarian mandarin
blanc
bramling cross
callista
cascade
centennial
challenger
chinook
hersbrucker
kent golding
melon hull
merkur
mount hood
northern brewer
saaz
santiam
spalt select
strisselspalt
tettnanger
tradition
wakatu
willamette

From this Hop list I was about to chose 5 or 6 strains: Saaz, Tettnager, Hersbrucker, Cascade, Centennial & Amarillo.

Feel free to share your thoughts/insight with me, still have 1 month to close the order.

Thanks in advance
Cascade and Chinook for the IPA/APA
EKG and Challenger for any English beers
And then any two of the noble hops for any softer or German beers ( pilsner, helles, cream ale etc.)
Just keep them separate.
Cheers

Some hops grow better in certain climates, I would do some research about which types grow best where you live. Where I live there's only 3 or 4 hops that actually thrive and grow well when grown here
Thanks a lot, Once I choose I´ll confirm where they grow better, or even if there are any strains that do not tolerate the Heat from eastern Spain.

Cascade and Chinook for the IPA/APA
EKG and Challenger for any English beers
And then any two of the noble hops for any softer or German beers ( pilsner, helles, cream ale etc.)
Just keep them separate.
Cheers

THanks a lot, I´m probably aiming for those ones :) thx

Do a little research on what it takes to grow hops, they climb, they love to climb, and need to climb, like 20 feet (6m). You will need a space where they will get enough sun, and have something to climb on.

Do some research on harvesting, and drying them as well.

There is a lot involved including some science in the soil that they grow in.

I took a stab at it, and quickly realized that I didn't have the space, or the time to do it properly.

After having one plant on the ground for just one season, I realized that this was not for me. I destroyed my back trying get all of the roots out in the spring. I moved in the fall,so for all I know the plant came back, but I honestly don't know.

There are many on the site here that do grow them, I am sure that you will get more help on this if you ask how togrow as opposed to what to grow.

Good luck!

Hehehe thx for the insight to you all. Im going to do mora or less what everybody is suggesting. I´m reading and watching vids, I´m also a long time cultivator so don´t think I´ll have any trouble growing the hell out of it... hehehe I´ll start with 2 or 3 strains get to know their behavior and growing capabilities, which I find amazing. Will post some pics when I start maybe I can help others as well :)

I grow Centennial hops in sub-arctic Duluth MN and they do very well.
Ah I forgot you grow a pretty good crop man!
I'm envious but hey it takes a fair bit of work processing them too right?

As @Ozarks Mountain Brew pointed out sometimes it's just easier to by the end product but hey it is hombrewing we're doing after all:).

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews is probably the most dedicated hop grower here I know of.
And @Head First man his hops put on a beautiful show!

I grow cascade here in subtropical Queensland I've not had much success but it gives the passers-by something to talk about:)

Only because "normal" people set out to buy 1 or 2 plants and that's what they do...people with a bit of ADHD set out to get a couple plants and plant 20 Cluster, 7 Northern Brewer, 5 Saaz, 5 Sterling and 2 Crystal plants with 4 trellis designs and 3 heights...just to see what works.

Only because "normal" people set out to buy 1 or 2 plants and that's what they do...people with a bit of ADHD set out to get a couple plants and plant 20 Cluster, 7 Northern Brewer, 5 Saaz, 5 Sterling and 2 Crystal plants with 4 trellis designs and 3 heights...just to see what works.
Heck yeah man do nothing by half's aye!

I´m also a long time cultivator so don´t think I´ll have any trouble growing the hell out of it... hehehe I´ll start with 2 or 3 strains get to know their behavior and growing capabilities, which I find amazing.
Then I too recommend EKG! I think it is my favorite hop!

English: EKG
German: Tettnanger (I do like Herbrucker too though)
American: I dislike most... BUT - Love Cascade! - I do like Chinook too for its Grapefruit qualities.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks to all, I finally decided to go Hersbrucker, Tettnager & Saaz. Truth is I´m still designing their grow space and that´s how I´ll get started, so this year is going to be more of a discovering the plant kind of grow than anything else.

I´ll share some details when time comes :)

Thanks all

PinX

Thanks to all, I finally decided to go Hersbrucker, Tettnager & Saaz. Truth is I´m still designing their grow space and that´s how I´ll get started, so this year is going to be more of a discovering the plant kind of grow than anything else.

I´ll share some details when time comes :)

Thanks all

PinX
Oh so very Nobel of you:)

Back