Which hops give the best coconut flavor?

Robert68

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am considering brewing a coconut cream ale. I have some Sabro hops and I think they give a coconut flavor......does anyone have experience or some feedback on hops I can use for a coconut cream ale? Thanks in advance for your responses!

I make a coconut porter, but the flavor comes from ... coconut.
Shredded coconut, toasted at 300 for 4-7 minutes in the oven. They brown fast so keep an eye on them. The heat releases the coconut oils and aroma.
Unsweetened or sweetened is OK, I used 8 oz. in 5 gallons as a dry hop.

The last time I made a coconut cream ale I used toasted coconut in the boil and dry hop. I also added some coconut water to the boil as a late addition, I'm kind of planning on making the same beer but was considering switching out the hops. I used HBC 472 last time and wasn't disappointed but just curious if there were some better hops I could use.

Sabro gives me a coconut aroma. Though I don't know that a lot of other people think that.

I have used Sabro many times and I get coconut from the hops. It's not intense like real coconut but I can taste it. The first time I used it was in a stout or porter (too many beers since) and I liked the hint of coconut I got in that beer.

I have an all Sabro beer on now and I'd say it's a stretch to call out coconut.
I'd try to get it from using the real McCoy

I have an all Sabro beer on now and I'd say it's a stretch to call out coconut.
I'd try to get it from using the real McCoy
Yeah, I am definitely planning on using toasted coconut, and some coconut water as well. I was just trying to find a hop(s) that would compliment the beer more. Last time I used HBC-472 and was satisfied..... just curious if there was another alternative - other than Sabro.

Honestly anything that assertive will tend to overpower the flavor.
Remember, a cream ale is a light hybrid, not an IPA.
A light touch of a noble hop is enough and it won't take much coconut to find it in the finished beer.
You should be finding the coconut, not getting hit upside the head with it.

Honestly anything that assertive will tend to overpower the flavor.
Remember, a cream ale is a light hybrid, not an IPA.
A light touch of a noble hop is enough and it won't take much coconut to find it in the finished beer.
You should be finding the coconut, not getting hit upside the head with it.
Good point.....I am overthinking this beer. I should "keep it simple".

I've used plain, non sweetened, non toasted, coconut in a wheat beer and a cider to good effect.

coconut, blech.... :D
It is amazing though the variety of flavors that can be imparted by different hops, and hop combinations.
Good luck with it!

I make a coconut porter, but the flavor comes from ... coconut.
Shredded coconut, toasted at 300 for 4-7 minutes in the oven. They brown fast so keep an eye on them. The heat releases the coconut oils and aroma.
Unsweetened or sweetened is OK, I used 8 oz. in 5 gallons as a dry hop.
Do you have any issues with the oils affecting head retention?

Back