When to add dry yeast to fermenter?

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Normally I just sprinkle it on the top of the beer after the fermenter is filled, but I came across this on the Fermentis site; has anyone tried this?

Ideally, the yeast will be added during the first part of the filling of the vessel; in which case hydration can be done at wort temperature higher than fermentation temperature, the fermenter being then filled with wort at lower temperature to bring the entire wort temperature at fermentation temperature.

Some yeasts call for getting started in a warmer than fermentation temp which is kinda what's being instructed here but this is a quick turn on that concept.

Did you try it?

I've done it mid-fill and at the end, did not notice any difference.

Link?
Is that for all yeasts or one particular yeast?

Link?
Is that for all yeasts or one particular yeast?
That was for S04. I use it a lot. The default now is sprinkle it in when almost done, use the last bit of wort to kinda mix it in.

That was for S04. I use it a lot. The default now is sprinkle it in when almost done, use the last bit of wort to kinda mix it in.
Ok. I rarely use Fermentis. For dry yeast, I have been using Lallemand. I usually just sprinkle the yeast in the fermenter at the beginning of transfer, pitching at fermentation temperature, not above it.

I use my fermentor glycol chiller to bring down to temp before pitching. With dry or liquid, i always just use a funnel in the airlock hole. Still goes

Normally I just sprinkle it on the top of the beer after the fermenter is filled, but I came across this on the Fermentis site; has anyone tried this?

Ideally, the yeast will be added during the first part of the filling of the vessel; in which case hydration can be done at wort temperature higher than fermentation temperature, the fermenter being then filled with wort at lower temperature to bring the entire wort temperature at fermentation temperature.
Key word is "Ideally." We are homebrewers and do very little "ideally." I use this system when I remember, when I don't I sprinkle it on top. Haven't noticed any difference, admittedly an "n=1" statement... Pitch when the wort is chilled, whether you dump it in while the fermentor is filling or when it's full, again "ideally" one or two degrees F below the planned fermentation temperature.

With colder ground temps I’ve been adding when I fill the fermenter, pouring it while it pours :) Mainly because it free aeration

I have never had any problem sprinkling dry yeast on top of wort, after filling the fermenter. When I started, I thought wort had to be vigorously shaken to oxygenate, even when using dry yeast. So I always poured dry yeast on top of a thick pillow of foam.

I use dry yeast for 90% of my brewing and I have hydrated a couple of times but mostly not. I always sprinkle on top once the wort is at pitch temp or in the vicinity. Sometimes I aerate and sometimes I don't and I have not had any issues with fermentation with dry yeast.

Honestly, I just give the fermenter a quick rinse with sanitizer, toss the yeast in and empty the kettle on top of it(after it is cooled). If I've got pellet hops in it I empty through a stainer bag, whole cones and its put the hose over the fermenter and ler 'er rip.

Full disclosure, I don't do starters, usually use dry yeast, and probably use the same yeast(Mauribrew 497) for 90% or better of my beers.

Seems to work, haven't had a bad batch due to the yeast yet.

Honestly, I just give the fermenter a quick rinse with sanitizer, toss the yeast in and empty the kettle on top of it(after it is cooled). If I've got pellet hops in it I empty through a stainer bag, whole cones and its put the hose over the fermenter and ler 'er rip.

Full disclosure, I don't do starters, usually use dry yeast, and probably use the same yeast(Mauribrew 497) for 90% or better of my beers.

Seems to work, haven't had a bad batch due to the yeast yet.
I like that method, but I am not confident enough in whatever temperature the wort coming out of the counterflow chiller will end up. And, I think it matters. Or?

Back