When is mead 'done'?

Jimminator

Trial Member
Reaction score
I had access to some local honey a while back, and on a whim decided to try my hand at mead making.

My first one was a gallon of Joe's ancient orange mead per the recipe, even used bread yeast. I made this exactly two months ago.

A week later, I made a second batch, only using other fruit and Lalvin D-47 dry yeast.

Three weeks ago, I made a third gallon, using different fruit again and this time using Lavlin 71B-1122 dry yeast.

So this morning I looked at them and the third batch is nearing crystal clear (at 3 weeks), the second batch is a little behind (at 7 weeks), but obviously clearing, and my first batch is just starting the clearing process (at 8 weeks). Okay, so that got me a little boggled, and then I realized I don't have a clue as to how to tell if these are really finishing up.

So how can I tell when it's ready to bottle? On some other forums the answer tends to be "Wait another month... or two.... or six" but I'm an impatient OCD (okay, some people use a different three letter acronym there) and at least once I get it in the bottles I can hide a few of them if they really have to age.

Mead takes time and patience. Try not to drink it to young. Or make enough to surpass your capacity to drink it all up before it is ready. Other than the bakers yeast, the yeast that you have chosen will continue to work even when the mead appears to be crystal clear. After a few months the true honey characteristics will start to re-appear. You know, mead made from sassafras honey has a faint but reminiscent root beer taste to it.

Back