Wheat beer

Brewer #51892

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
The time has come to move onto wheat beer styles but the is such and array of information it takes time to wade through it all.

My question is on flaked wheat. Is it pre gelatinized when I buy it? There is a whole food website that sells this stuff dirt cheap and I am unsure whether the product from the LHBS will differ from that of the whole food supplier

Thanks. Any info is a great help

Flaked wheat is gelatinized and ready to use.

Thanks. I will buy the cheap stuff from the whole food shop. Do you know how long it lasts once the bag is opened.?

I've got about 5 lbs left from a 25 lb bag earlier this year. Kept it dry but just rolled the bag over, no plastic bin or anything. Seems to be fine. I hope to finish it off this weekend.

It's oatmeal. The stuff lasts forever as long as you keep it dry (slight hyperbole, there). Basically, as long as it doesn't smell rancid, it's good.

keep all flaked grains sealed in a air tight container, bugs love the stuff and its not uncommon to have them hatch after its been sitting a while so when you see little flying insects in your bag don't throw it away just open the bag outside and let them out

Back