What's your measurements?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just curious what people use, mostly for Plato/SG/Brix

I'll use mostly SG, but will use brix when taking the og reading because it's easier.
SRM just by default really, not a conscious choice.
Don't even know the difference with the IBU scales or ABV.

any thoughts? Anything better / easier than another?

I've always used SG, mostly because that was the scale I learned to brew on. I now understand the Plato scale and its correlation to SG and have debated on using it in the future (maybe, old habits die hard). As far as SRM and IBU I just go with the default. Not due to ignorance for their differences; more due to I just don't care. I believe homeBrewing much like cooking is more about feel. For example through experience, I know what a beer with around 40 IBU's will present like, I try to not get hung up on the difference between 40 and 46 IBU's or 2.7 to 3.4 SRM -design beers I thing have attributed that play well together and people will enjoy drinking is my main goal [and I try to ignore the green check mark ....it's so difficult for us first born's] :mrgreen:

we used to record every number on the hydrometer when we first started out because we had no idea what we were doing. i do just SG now from the hydrometer, refractometer has both Brix and SG, never used brix.

When i look at the SRM in the editor, i have no idea what the difference between Morey Daniels and Mosher is. I know they're all people's names, not sure how calculated. I've looked at various brewery's websites recipes they post which includes ingredients and sometimes an SRM or a Lº number, so i plug in those ingredients into the recipe builder and get completely different numbers for SRM... completely lost on me.

i wish i'd use the IBU Rager scale on the edit, just because it says Rager. i prefer my IPAs with extra rage.

My units:
Gravity: SG
Temperature: Degrees Fahrenheit
Volume: US Gallons/quarts/pints
Weight (grain): Pounds/ounces
Weight (hops, minerals, small amounts of anything): grams
Fermentation temperature: Degrees Celsius
Acidity/Alkalinity: pH
Alcohol: ABV
I'm considering switching off to metric units just to avoid confusion.

interesting that you switch between C and F

i understand that metric units "make more sense" and are easily scalable, but is one brewing unit of measurement better than another for easier calculations? kind of a moot point with all the software, but i'm curious

a picture says a thousand words, this is my set up

Attachments

• img_19 Aug. 08 11.27.jpg
    img_19 Aug. 08 11.27.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 225
  • img_20 Aug. 08 13.55.jpg
    img_20 Aug. 08 13.55.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 221
Other than the crazy American reliance on bases of 12 and 16, nothing makes metric or conventional units any better. It's just awfully easy to calculate parts per million as grams per liter.

once you get used to it its great, im just too old to have had it in school, and used to American type measurements, funny is almost all parts for anything is now metric so Im familiar with 10's 12's and 14's all day long

Back