What's the difference

cowboy7307

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
just want to know what the difference is between All grain, and BIAB

just want to know what the difference is between All grain, and BIAB
Not much. They both soak the grain in hot water. But you can't (easily) stir biab, so you get lower efficiencies. But you can use a far finer crush with biab, somewhat compensating. The end results are very similar, and the line blurs a bit when using a malt pipe, typical of electric all-in-one systems.

Biab originated from Australia hombrewing.
I remember there used to be quite a stigma about Brew in A bag as per anything new in the brewing world always brings some negativity.

I can't give a difference perspective as I've brewed BIAB almost since starting algrain I did actually do a batch or two in an esky or cooler with a copper manifold for a brew or two.

As for efficiency I can get 87% brew house with a sparge if I want so not sure where this low efficiency thing is comming from.
I guess it's these all in ones with the narrow malt pipes that can complicate things in regards to lautering efficiently.

I find the diameter of a commercial 50lt keg is equal to the mash depth in my all on one copy.

I've found efficiency is more of a crush size / sparge thing than anything.

If your wondering weather to go Biab or traditional 3 vessel Herms system or even 2v Rims system.

I'd look at
A :equipment Space takeup.
B :ease of cleaning and storage in-between brew sessions.
C: Energy usage potential running extra elements pumps.

BIAB wins hands down.

Oh last one is volume I'd say as soon as your batch size is exceeding 10 gallons / 50LT batch then the odds work in the 3v traditional system simply because of your grist size and handling the shear weight of wet grain...

Last edited:
Like stated above.
BIAB is all grain, just a different way from the more traditional 3 vessel brewing.
I BIAB as well :)

Use a good bag that you can tie over the pot edge or use clips to hold, easy peasy to stir. Was the way I did all grain for a number of years. Was cheap too, re-purposed my wife's big 44 qt bayou classic pot just had to wash it before next batch of crabapple jelly.

Back